Phil Robertson: From Louisiana Tech to Duck Commander
In the late 1960s in Ruston, Louisiana, two Bulldog quarterbacks’ life paths diverged sharply.
One was Terry Bradshaw, who went on to attain the top pick in the 1970 NFL Draft, a lengthy career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, four Super Bowl victories, a spot in the Hall of Fame and a second career in front of the camera.
The other one was Phil Robertson, who was ahead of Terry Bradshaw on Louisiana Tech’s depth chart but gave up football with one year of eligibility remaining because the game and any future in it interfered with his heart’s dearest passion: duck-hunting season.
“At the time, no one quite understood what exactly was my problem because I didn’t put football as the ultimate goal, being this stud hoss football player, but what they didn’t see then, they get it now,” Phil Robertson said.
“Because as it turns out, what am I talking about now?”
Phil Robertson, now 67, was referring to the duck call business he started out of his home, which became the Duck Commander regime and led some 40 years later to the creation of Duck Dynasty, which airs on A&E.
Coming out of Vivian, Louisiana’s North Caddo High School, Phil Alexander Robertson said he fielded offers to join the football programs at LSU, Ole Miss, Baylor and Rice, but chose Louisiana Tech to remain close to home. After redshirting his freshman year, he was joined by some soon-to-be famous company on the depth chart.
“The quarterback playing ahead of me, Phil Robertson, loved hunting more than he loved football,” Terry Bradshaw wrote in his autobiography, It’s Only a Game.
“He’d come to practice directly from the woods, squirrel tails hanging out of his pockets, duck feathers on his clothes. Clearly he was a fine shot, so no one complained too much.”
Asked whether there was any truth to the squirrel tails anecdote, Robertson one-upped his own legend:”Squirrel guts! Squirrel guts hangin’ out my pocket!”
He spoke fondly of Terry Bradshaw and of his time with the Bulldogs, though he’s never been back since giving up football. “Bradshaw’s a great guy,” Phil Robertson said.
“I was the one that named him the Blond Bomber, and while he was at Tech, I said <<Son, you’ve got the want to and the drive to play in the NFL, you got a great arm>>, and I said <<You got brains>>, and when I got to brains, Bradshaw said, <<Are you serious about the brains?>> I said, <<Well, you have enough sense to play in the NFL>>. As it turned out, I put it this way, he must’ve been smart enough to win four Super Bowls.”
After three letter-winning seasons and with one year of eligibility remaining, Phil Robertson had had enough. He says he spurned interest from the Washington Redskins and went after the ducks full time in the fall while completing his undergraduate degree. “Bradshaw will tell the story better than I do,” Phil Robertson said.
“To put it bluntly, he was very happy that I chose ducks because he moved up a slot. I was blessed with a good arm, or Bradshaw wouldn’t have been playing second string to me.
“But you gotta remember, my heart was then and to this day — let me put it this way: Throwing a touchdown pass to a guy running down the sideline, and he runs down with the ball for six, it was fun. However, in my case, it was much more fun to be standing down in some flooded timber with about 35 or 40 mallard ducks comin’ down on top of me in the woods. That did my heart more good than all the football in the world.”
Phil Robertson went to work as a schoolteacher for several years after graduating from Tech, obtaining his master’s degree in education via night classes, with a concentration in English.
“I kinda liked ol’ Shakespeare and them guys, you know,” Phil Robertson said.
“I went back and got my master’s just in case. I thought, if I ever needed it, I’d have the sheepskin to show people no matter how dumb I looked, actually I was about half intelligent. I got the degree to let ‘em know I wasn’t as dumb as I acted.”
And all the while, Phil Robertson continued to hone his hunting craft. Dissatisfied with commercial duck calls, he began producing and selling his own about 40 years ago. These led to a series of duck-hunting videos that began 25 years ago, which led in turn to stints on the Outdoor Channel. Then came the call from A&E.
“Let’s face it, the bar has been set pretty low for you to get on American television these days. I think they said, <<Why don’t we try a functional family>>, and somebody said well, that’s a novel idea. Round here, you know, there’s no outbursts, belligerence, cursing, gettin’ drunk, dope, no, we’re all Godly people, so maybe it’s a little switch for a change. We’re not actually rednecks, but we probably could be called goodoleboys,” Phil Robertson said.
The Duckmen are under no-shave, no-laundry policies during the 10-week season.
“We shower our bodies during the hunting season, but under no circumstances do we ever wash our clothes,” Phil Robertson said. “We hang ‘em up and let ‘em air dry. We begin to look like the landscape around us, you know what I’m sayin’? Oh, they’ll get it. Hey, life is good, life is good.”
Related search articles:
- where is duck dynasty located in louisiana
- where is duck dynasty located
- duck dynasty location in louisiana
- Phil Robertson at Louisiana Tech
- phil robertson louisiana tech
- phil robertson duck commander
- Mia Robertson in the Hospital
- what does duck dynasty do for a living
- korie robertson affair
- si robertson son with aspergers
- phil shooting at louisiana tech
- jas robertson s children s names
- phil robertson football louisiana tech
- korie robertson leg spread
- korrie robertson botox
- si robertsons house pictures
- phil robertson biography louisiana tech
- louisiana tech football phil robertson
- duck dynasty si\s military career
- Duck Dynasty location
- picture of the robertson brothers without beards
- are the robertsons church of christ
- how old is jessica robertson from duck dynasty
- is mia robertson retarded
- si mia robertson health problems
- rushton louisiana duck commander
- womens si robertson halloween costume
- willie robertson played football
- robertsons chuch of christ
- woman for mobi commercial
- robertson scandel
- robertson latechsports
- robertson la tech
- robertson church of christ
- pictures of robertson brothers without beards
- phil robertson louisi
- www Phil Robertson Louisiana Tech com
- where is duck dynasty commander station located in Louisiana
- si robertsins house
- where does missy robertson get her clothes
- whats wrong with jace robertsons daughter mia
- what years did phil robertson go to louisiana tech
- where to find duck dynasty chia pets in Ruston La
- will robertson net worth 2013
- what company offered will robertson a job
- who is the mother of phil robertson from duck dynasty
- why wasnt phil robertson at the thanksgiving day parade in ny
- si robertsons homes
- si robertson wendys costume cheep
- where are the louisiana duck zones located
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=35965