South African athlete Oscar Pistorius will not compete again this year as he awaits trial for murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius, 26, is on bail after being charged with the murder of 29-year-old Reeva Steenkamp but can compete before his court case is heard.
His agent, Peet van Zyl, said the six-time Paralympic champion was not mentally ready to return to the track.
“There was never any pressure from me or his coach (Ampie Louw) to return, it’s his decision,” said Peet van Zyl.
It means Oscar Pistorius will not compete in the IPC World Championships in Lyon in July.
Oscar Pistorius was arrested after shooting Reeva Steenkamp dead on February 14 and has not competed since.
On February 22, Oscar Pistorius was granted bail and had certain conditions lifted which meant he could compete in events outside his homeland.
Coach Ampie Louw was quoted by Eye Witness News in South Africa as saying his athlete was “nowhere close” to being in a position to train.
Oscar Pistorius had not been invited to compete in July’s London Anniversary Games, with UK Athletics chairman Ed Warner saying he did not want the meeting to turn into a “media circus”.
However, Oscar Pistorius’s agent said plenty of meeting organisers had been in touch to invite athlete to compete in their events.
“[There] were a good number, enough to keep him busy through the year,” added Peet van Zyl.
At London 2012, Oscar Pistorius became the first double amputee to run at an Olympics, taking part in both the 400 m and 4×400 m relay.
He then won gold medals in the T44 400 m and T42-46 4×100 m at the Paralympics, as well as silver in the T44 200 m.
Oscar Pistorius is next due in court on June 4 and a trial is expected to take place before the end of this year.blade runner, double amputee, gold medallist, ipc world, london 2012, oscar pistorius, paralympics, peet van zyl, Reeva Steenkamp