Last non-European Pope: Gregory III (731 – 741)
Pope Francis I is the first non-European Catholic Church leader for over 1,200 years.
The last non-European Pope before Francis I was Gregory III.
Pope Saint Gregory III led the Catholic Church from 11 February 731 to 28 November 741, when he died.
He was the last Pope to be born outside Europe until the election of Pope Francis I on 13 March 2013.
Gregory, the son of a Syrian named John, was elected pope by popular acclamation on 11 February 731, but was not formally consecrated as Bishop of Rome until 18 March, after having received the approval of the Byzantine exarch in Ravenna.
Pope Francis I, like most of his countrymen, is of Italian descent, so he bridges the Italian-dominated Church administration with Latin America, which accounts for 40% of all the world’s Catholics. Culturally always part of Western Europe, Argentina is also rather secular, with over 11% of people “indifferent towards religion”, compared to figures of under 2% in predominantly non-European Peru, Paraguay and Colombia.
Several of the early popes were Syrian, and just as the centre of Christianity in its early years shifted from the Middle East to Europe, so now it is moving across the seas. The twilight of Middle Eastern Christianity is the great tragedy of our times, Syria also being the birthplace of Christian music, among other things. But the decline of European Catholicism is also sad, because what makes Catholicism so beautiful, aesthetically, it is Italian-ness, which during that country’s long cultural dominance of Europe inspired such art and devotion.
Related search articles:
- who was the last non european pope
- maxima zorreguieta upskirt
- the last non-european pope
- last pope from outside europe
- who was the last pope not from europe
- last pope born outside europe
- last non european pope?
- last pope from outside of europe
- other non european pope
- who was the last non-European pope?
- pope from syria
- oana grregory bikini pics
- when was the last non-european pope?
- Pope Gregory III
- last non european pope before francis
- The last non European pope
- who was last european pope
- the last noneuropean pope
- Who was last non-European pope?
- who was last non european pope
- the last pope from outside europe
- when was the last non europian pope
- when was the last non-european pope
- who is the last non european catholic Pope
- where was the last non-european pope from
- who was last pope not from europe
- who was the first non european pope
- xnxxتحرش سوق
- who was the previous non-european pope
- who was the previous non european pope?
- who was the last pope to come from a country outside europe
- Who was the last pope outside europe
- who was the last Pope from outside of Europe?
- who was the first non european pope before Pope Francis?
- who was the last non-eiropean pope
- who was the last non europwean pope
- who was the last non europian pope
- who was the first pope outside europe
- who was the first non-european pope?
- who was the first non-european pope
- y languages does pope frsncis speakhow man
- the last non european pope was from syria gregory ii
- last pope from a non european country
- last pope born outside of europe
- last noneuropean pope
- last non-europe
- last non eurpoean pope
- last non europian pope
- last non European popr
- last no european pope
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=31316