Coq au Vin Recipe (serves 4)
- 1 spray of low-calorie cooking spray
- 8 shallots or small onions, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600 g (1lb 5oz) skinless chicken legs, raw
- 125 ml (4fl oz) medium white wine
- 300 ml (½pt) chicken stock
- 175 g (6oz) mushrooms, halved
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 level tbsp corn flour, mixed with 3 tbsp cold water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large frying pan or saucepan and mist with low-calorie cooking spray. Add the shallots/onions and garlic and sauté them for about 5 minutes, until beginning to turn brown. Push them to one side of the pan.
Add the chicken legs to the pan and brown them quickly on both sides. Pour in the wine and let it bubble up for a few seconds. Add the chicken stock, mushrooms and bay leaf. Cover and simmer gently for 45-50 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
Stir the blended corn flour and add to the pan juices. Heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Check the seasoning, adding extra salt and pepper if necessary. Remove the bay leaf and serve.