Sandy Hook children back to school
Children from Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 26 people last month, are to start the new term at what police say is the US’s “safest school”.
Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown has been closed since Adam Lanza killed 20 pupils and six staff on December 14.
Chalk Hill, a disused middle school in nearby Monroe, has been renovated by an 80-strong team and renamed Sandy Hook.
The use of furniture from Sandy Hook had turned it into “a very cheerful elementary school”, officials said.
Extra security measures were being taken at the new school, such as stopping every vehicle that entered the school grounds, said Monroe Police Department’s Lieutenant Keith White.
“I think right now it has to be the safest school in America,” he said.
Acting Principal Donna Page, who has replaced the slain school head Dawn Hochsprung, wrote to parents of pupils that the school was “safe, secure and fully operational”.
Parents would be allowed to stay in the school during class-time on Thursday to reassure their children, she added.
“That being said, we encourage students to take the bus to school in order to help them return to familiar routines as soon as possible,” she wrote.
Adam Lanza, 20, carried out the attack after killing his mother, the legal owner of the weapons, which included a semi-automatic rifle.
He later shot himself, and was reportedly buried over the weekend after his father, a tax executive, retrieved his body from the authorities last week.
The shooting revived fierce debate over America’s controversial gun control laws, with some pro-gun politicians saying it had prompted them to change their views on the issue.
The Obama administration has indicated it will look for ways to tighten gun laws, and President Barack Obama has given his deputy, Joe Biden, the task of establishing a set of “concrete proposals” within weeks.
Barack Obama has said he would support reinstating an assault weapons ban that lapsed in 2004.
The White House has also suggested the president would back other gun control measures on high-capacity ammunition clips as well as closing loopholes that allow people to buy guns without background checks.
The National Rifle Association (NRA), a powerful US lobbying group, argues against more regulation, saying teachers in schools should be armed in order to better defend students if a shooting occurs.
Related search articles:
- Official Police Report Sandy Hook
- Adam Lanza VOTER REGISTRATION
- delores saunders halloween
- angel sightings by children at sandy hook
- sandy hook official police report
- Sandy Hook Police Report
- breastfeeding adult children videos
- date hurricane sandy hit nyc 2012
- sole survivor sandy hook
- atlantic city before and after
- Sandy Hook Shooting Graphic Images
- Shopping Upskirt Marilyn Monroe
- sandy brooks school shooting hoax
- shady brook connecticut shooting
- shady brook shooting anniversary
- 911 calls for Shadybrook elementary
- newtown students cremated
- iowa man turn himself in for molesting his daughter
- avielle richman belmar
- date hurricane sandy 2012 hit milford ct
- deceased sandy hook
- delores saunders halloween with google
- Elementary Students and Suicide
- foto upskirt japan
- full official report sandy hook
- hurricane sandy dates in ct
- what did hurricane sandy do to new jersey
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=28555