Barack Obama on Meet the Press: gun control and a ban on assault weapons and high capacity bullets
President Barack Obama pledged this morning to put his “full weight” behind a legislative gun control package aimed at avoiding another Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.
In an interview with NBC’s Meet the Press, Barack Obama voiced skepticism about proposals to place armed guards at schools in the aftermath of the December 14th deadly assault in Connecticut which claimed the lives of 20 first graders and six teachers.
In his boldest terms yet, Barack Obama vowed to rally the American people around an agenda to limit gun violence and said he still supports increased background checks and bans on assault weapons and high capacity clips or magazines.
“It is not enough for us to say. This is too hard so we’re not going to try,” Barack Obama said.
“So what I intend to do is I will call all the stakeholders together. I will meet with Republicans. I will meet with Democrats. I will talk to anybody.
“I think there are a vast majority of responsible gun owners out there who recognize that we can’t have a situation in which somebody with severe psychological problems is able to get the kind of high capacity weapons that this individual in Newtown obtained and gun down our kids. And, yes, it’s going to be hard.”
Barack Obama’s comments come as the schoolroom shooting has elevated the issue of gun violence to the forefront of public attention.
Six adults also died at the school. Authorities say the shooter killed himself and also killed his mother at their home.
The slayings have prompted renewed calls for greater gun controls. The National Rifle Association has resisted those efforts vociferously, arguing instead that schools should have armed guards for protection.
“I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools,” the president said.
“And I think the vast majority of the American people are skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem.”
Barack Obama said he intended to press the issue with the public.
“Will there be resistance? Absolutely there will be resistance,” he said.
“The question then becomes whether we are actually shook up enough by what happened here that it does not just become another one of these routine episodes where it gets a lot of attention for a couple of weeks and then it drifts away. It certainly won’t feel like that to me.
“This is something that – you know, that was the worst day of my presidency. And it’s not something that I want to see repeated.”
Besides getting gun violence legislation passed next year, Barack Obama also listed immigration as a top priority for 2013 as well as deficit reduction.
A big deficit reduction deal with Republicans proved elusive this month and Obama is now hoping Senate Democratic and Republican leaders salvage a scaled back plan that avoids across the board tax increases for virtually all Americans.
He issued a defense of former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, who has been mentioned as one of the leading candidates for new secretary of defense.
Chuck Hagel, who opposed President George W. Bush’s decision to go to war with Iraq, has been criticized in conservative circles for not being a strong enough ally of Israel.
Many liberals and gay activists also have banded against him for comments he made in 1998 about an openly gay nominee for an ambassadorship.
Barack Obama, who briefly served with Chuck Hagel in the Senate, stressed that he had yet to make a decision on a secretary of defense but said called Hagel a “patriot”.
“He is somebody who has done extraordinary work both in the United States Senate,” he said.
“Somebody who served this country with valor in Vietnam. And is somebody who’s currently serving on my intelligence advisory board and doing an outstanding job.”
Barack Obama noted that Chuck Hagel had apologized for his 14-year-old remark.
“And I think it’s a testimony to what has been a positive change over the last decade in terms of people’s attitudes about gays and lesbians serving our country,” he said.
Related search articles:
- Dates of Sandy
- phil robertson religion
- Powered by Article Dashboard savage arms striker
- obama building house in Hawaii
- Cost for Obama woods golf
- what weapon did sandy hook shooter use
- biggest stadium in fifa 13
- compare hurricane sandy and irene
- why did the sandy hook kiler merder all the kid
- Republican Reaction to Obama Re-Election
- rachel ray looks like she gained weight
- psychics on obama s future
- Powered by Article Dashboard what states don\t allow concealed weapons
- Powered by Article Dashboard weapons of the vietnam war
- yolanda foster skin care routine
- mila junis on weight gain
- Powered by Article Dashboard re5 weapons
- snopes jeff hanneman
- statue of saint in sandy storm
- when is the next honey boo boo episode 2013
- wikileaks sandy hook
- WHEN DID THE NEWTOWN SHOOTING TAKE PLACE
- what weapon did the mississippi man use to try to kill obama and other elected officials
- will obama finish his second term
- what job did michelle obama have
- Xnxx con las indias de san marcos guatemala com
- what date did super storm sandy hit nj
- the truth about sandy cook shooting
- what gun was used inside sandy hook
- obamas sealed records feb 1 2013
- obama vacation costs vs bush snopes
- How many open caskets in the Newtown shooting March 2013
- girl eat cum on plane
- first hooker obama email truth
- fact check michelle dressed like a hooker
- current event on immigration 2013 obama
- cost of obama trip to hawaii 2012
- anti x movies
- celluvera forum
- cape may damage from sandy
- in california or what other state is the holocaust still going going on
- israeal xnxx best pic
- kit choice awards2013
- obama meet the press gun bans
- obama fraud case
- Obama Bought House in Hawaii
- obama 1 4 billion travel
- newtown shootings weapon used
- myers elementary home page star test
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=28421