Rubbish Orchestra: Landfill Harmonic documentary shows how Paraguayan kids make orchestra out of trash
An orchestra of young musicians from a Paraguayan slum has been touring South America, using instruments constructed entirely from recycled materials.
They pulled them from the rubbish dump around their homes.
Landfill Harmonic is heartwarming film featuring a unique orchestra in Paraguay made up entirely of instruments made from scrap heap rubbish.
The Recycled Orchestra is the creation of Favio Chávez, a landfill worker and musician from Paraguay.
The film, a teaser for which has been published online, features Favio Chávez and an inspiring group of children beating the odds in the poverty stricken town of Cateura.
Cateura exists virtually on top of a landfill site where residents make their livings recycling and selling other people’s rubbish.
Situated along the banks of the Paraguay River, 1,500 tons of waste is dumped in the area each day.
But despite the critical levels of pollution and the threat to their health residents of Cateura manage to find the most positive of uses for the rubbish.
Inspired to do something to help the impoverished families, Favio Chávez began using the trash in the landfill to create instruments for the children.
“One day it occurred to me to teach music to the children of the recyclers and use my personal instruments,” explains 36 year-old Favio Chávez, who worked as an ecological technician at the landfill.
“But it got to the point that there were too many students and not enough supply. So that’s when I decided to experiment and try to actually create a few.”
The documentary is directed by Graham Townsley.
The instruments in the orchestra are made from a whole range of old and broken electrical appliances. By using them whole or in part they have been put back together to create new musical instruments that have a unique sound.
Related search articles:
- Landfill Harmonic Hoax
- junkyard orchestra paraguay
- 60 minutes trash band
- paraguay junk band
- rubbish dump orchestra
- landfill harmonic snopes
- paraguary junk symphony
- paraguay instruments
- movie about paraquay children with junk instrunments
- paraguay junk instruments
- Paraguay junk orchestra
- paraguay culture JUNK ORCHESTRA
- paraguay junkyard instruments
- Paraguay orchestra touring europe with homemade instruments
- symphony in Paraguay in dump
- south american kids make instruments out of recycled materials
- snopes landfill orchestra
- Snopes Landfill Harmonic Hoax
- rubbish orchestra
- paraguay musical junk symphony
- recycled materials in latin america
- recycled instruments kids
- recycle instruments in south american
- making musical instruments from recycled materials in south america
- landfillharmonic africa
- landfill orchestra snopes
- instruments made from recycled materials in south amweixca
- fillharmonic orchestra paraguay
- documentary town in paraguay town dump
- blur whale imessage
- 60 minutes 11/18/13 Paraguay trash band
- 60 minutes show on instruments made from recycled materials in south america
- 60 minutes segment on recycld insteuments drom the dump
- 60 minutes junk band
- junk instrument orchestra
- junk instruments paraqugy
- Landfill Instruments
- landfill harmonic orchestra snopes
- junkyard orch africa
- junkyard instruments
- junkyard band paraquay
- junkyard band in paraguay
- junk orchestra paraguay
- junk musical instrument band countries in south america
- 60 minutes and musicians from paraguay
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=28402