Hurricane Sandy death toll rises to 80 and keeps climbing
The death toll from Hurricane Sandy keeps rising as swathes of the US East Coast battle to recover, three days after being smashed by the massive storm.
More than 80 people are now known to have died, 37 in New York City alone, and others remain missing.
About 4.6 million people are still without power, and there are fuel shortages across the region.
The National Guard is to deliver a million meals and bottled water to New Yorkers affected by the storm.
The number of dead in the US has exceeded the toll from the Caribbean, where 69 people were killed by Sandy.
The storm could cost the US $50 billion, according to forecasting firm Eqecat, doubling the previous estimate.
In New York, limited subway services returned on Thursday, though four of the seven train tunnels under the East river remained flooded.
Fares on commuter trains, subways and buses have been temporarily waived in a bid to entice commuters off the traffic-choked roads.
Many of the petrol stations in the city and the state of New Jersey remained closed, and fights broke out amid long queues on forecourts.
The city authorities are only permitting vehicles with three passengers or more to cross into Manhattan.
Amtrak plans to restart its East Coast service – the busiest train line in the US – on Friday.
In lower Manhattan, where Sandy brought a record 14 ft (4.2 m) tidal surge, subway services are still closed and hundreds of thousands of homes without power.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Thursday ordered the National Guard to help deliver some 30 tractor trailers of supplies to one million residents.
He has told relief workers to prioritize the elderly and poor, especially those living in high-rise blocks.
The death toll rose overnight as the extent of destruction became clearer in the south-western New York City borough of Staten Island, where at least 15 bodies have been recovered.
The storm, one of the biggest to hit the US in decades, swamped the low-lying district with tidal surges, lifting whole houses off their foundations.
Many residents in that community ignored official evacuation warnings and stayed behind to guard their homes.
Two boys, aged two and four, are missing after they were torn from their mother’s arms by floodwaters, as they emerged from their vehicle.
Police searching the area found a body on Thursday morning, the New York Post reports.
An 89-year-old woman died after spending 12 hours in her deluged Staten Island home, reports the New York Daily News.
Her 65-year-old daughter was unable to save her. Helpless neighbors heard their screams for help but could not reach them.
Also on Staten Island, John Filipowicz, 51, and his 20-year-old son John were found dead under debris in the basement of their home.
Breezy Point, in New York City, where fire razed 111 homes, was described by one onlooker as resembling a war zone.
Emergency crews are working to reach the most badly hit areas.
In Hoboken, New Jersey, across the Hudson River from New York City, some 20,000 people were still trapped in their homes amid sewage-tainted floodwaters.
The National Guard is helping with evacuations and meal distributions.
One frustrated householder reportedly inflated an air mattress and floated to Hoboken city hall to find out why supplies had not yet arrived.
Jersey City has issued an overnight curfew as well as a driving ban.
On Wednesday, President Barack Obama took an aerial tour to inspect the damage to New Jersey’s shattered Atlantic coastline.
He put campaigning for next week’s US election on hold for three days to manage the disaster response.
The cyclone also caused havoc further inland.
The state of West Virginia has seen up to 5 ft of snow in some areas, after Hurricane Sandy collided with two winter weather fronts.
Related search articles:
- sandy hook crime scene
- when did storm sandy hit
- superstorm sandy dates
- sandy cook elementary school shooting
- Weapons Used Sandy Hook
- how many people were killed in hurricane sandy
- superstorm sandy date of landfall
- Powered by Article Dashboard indiana unclaimed money
- autopsy report Sandy hook
- Sandy Hook Shooting Autopsies
- hurricane sandy lives lost
- extreme water homes
- list of victims from hurricane sandy
- jones beach after hurricane sandy
- sandy hook medical examiners report
- uncensered jersy shore pics
- how many people hurricane sandy killed
- pics of destructin from sandy at the statue of liberty
- what weapons were used in sandy hook school shooting
- 2 shooters in sandy hook
- what was date of hurricane sandy
- hidden cam groping in the bus/train
- which weapons were really used at sandy hook
- wife groped on the train
- Autopsie reports from sandy hook victims
- when did superstorm sandy hit in 2012?
- where is a picture of the weapons used in the sandy hook shootings
- sandy hook news reports
- sandy hook security system
- sandy hook muder weapon
- what day did superstorm sandy hit?
- why no photo video sandy hook
- sandy cook elementary school hoaks
- river viiperi pro gamer
- what does sandy hook nj look like today after hurrican sandy
- sandy hook shooting what weapons were used
- sandy hook victim funeral
- what guns were used at sandy hook coroner
- what happened to the crane at kawaihae harbor
- what type of storm was sandy and what date did it hit CT
- training for a womens fitness show
- touching bulges in metro
- subway being sewd
- what was the exact date superstorm sandy hit long island
- species holly wood movie hot in xvedio com
- sonic blast off coast of usa washington state mermaids 2007
- snopes Lisa R Irwin
- sandy maloney murder victum
- stroia - john eli
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=25868