New York Halloween Parade canceled due to Hurricane Sandy
New York Mayor’s Office and the NYPD shut down the Halloween Greenwich Village parade which normally weaves its route through the West Side neighborhood.
But it remains in complete darkness this evening, more than 24 hours after power was cut off to most of lower Manhattan during fierce winds and widespread flooding.
However, New Jersey Mayor Chris Christie today made good on his promise to make sure the Garden State was able to have Halloween and moved the holiday to November 5.
Chris Christie promised on Tuesday: “If conditions are not safe on Wednesday for trick-or-treating, I will sign an executive order rescheduling.”
“I’ve taken this action to minimize additional risks to lives and the public safety as we begin the process of rebuilding and recovering from Hurricane Sandy,” said Governor Chris Christie.
“In too many communities in our state, the damage and losses from this storm are still being sorted out, and dangerous conditions abound even as our emergency management and response officials continue their work.
“As Governor, it is my responsibility to use all available resources of the state government to protect against the emergency created by Hurricane Sandy – postponing Halloween celebrations by five days is a common sense and necessary step to accomplish that.”
Meanwhile, New York City all out cancelled their annual event.
Organizers of the parade said: “We hope that everyone who would have come to the Parade is safe and that those who can volunteer to help out at one of the Emergency Outreach Centers near you. We will surely miss all of you!”
The parade, which would have begun at 6:30 p.m. on 6th Avenue, usually attracts up to 60,000 Halloween lovers in the most outrageous costumes.
More than 50 bands playing an eclectic range of music take part along with hundreds of dancers, artists and giant puppets.
The theme of this year’s parade was “Tick Tock”, tying in with the final year of the Mayan calendar which predicts the apocalypse.
Halloween looked likely to be an uncharacteristically somber affair as up and down the East Coast people come to terms with Sandy’s aftermath.
Across New York and Westchester, around 811,000 people were without power – with that number reaching a staggering eight million along the Eastern Seaboard.
The outages in Manhattan have been attributed to a huge explosion at an electrical substation, which blew up when it was apparently overwhelmed by floodwater.
Traveling around the city remains difficult as it would still be four to five days before limited operation could begin on the New York subway, according to Bloomberg, with some reports estimating it might take as long as 21 days for service to become fully functioning.
Related search articles:
- proof sandy hook happened
- hurricane sandy NY date
- when did sandy happen
- dates for hurricane sandy
- hurricane sandy date hits
- noreaster after sandy
- what date did hurrican sandy hit new york
- was rifle used at sandy hook
- what date did sandy happen
- when did hurricane sandy occure?
- what town got most affected by hurricane sandy
- hurricane sandy when did it hit
- si robertson mask
- mermaid fossil found in hungary
- moull anty xnxx
- What was the date of the hurricane Sandy in New York in 2012
- date of nor easter after hurricane sandy
- Randy pace medford
- which gun was used at sandy hook
- when did hurricane sandy 2012
- salvage hurricane sandy cars
- which date did hurricane sandy happen
- where did the hurricane sandy occur
- spain storm
- Rifle Used in Sandy Hook
- reaction to new mermaid evidence Greenland coast
- when sandy hit nj october
- who survived sandy hool
- woodstock 2013 bannds
- pissing eteroin new york
- phil robertson easter 2013
- parade extra adult magazine
- superstorm sandy after actions report
- when did the superstorm hit MD
- Tamil saree xphoto
- when did huricane sady hit
- when did hurricane sandy hit nj home news
- what was the caliber of the bullets fired at sandy hook
- Villa Maria By-the-Sea stone harbor nj 2013 fund raiser
- what guns were used in sandyhoom shooti g
- what day did hurricane sandy happen on
- www tamil nadu village 35 year old aunty without saree
- When did storm Sandy hit jersey in 2012
- when did the sandy hook crisis happen
- Vilage tamil girls without saree
- Thr truth of sandyhook
- The date that hurricane sandy happened
- the date of huricanesandy
- tamil village anties xnxx videos in sarees
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=25834