Halloween celebrations in New Jersey could be cancelled
Halloween celebrations could be cancelled in New Jersey in the wake of Hurricane Sandy as it was deemed unsafe to go trick or treating.
Governor Chris Christie announced on his Twitter account on Monday night that if the ferocious winds and high waters continued, he would declare it unsafe for residents to take part in celebrations.
Chris Christie said: “If conditions are not safe on Wednesday for Trick or Treating, I will sign an Executive Order rescheduling.”
New Jersey was battered by Storm Sandy as it made landfall in the south of the state with winds of up to 85 mph.
More than 750,000 were left without power in New Jersey with authorities warning residents to stay off wind-swept and flooded roads. Atlantic City’s historic boardwalk had suffered significant damage.
Public transport, airports and schools remained closed today while rescue workers and power companies waited to assess the extent of the damage as it neared daylight on the East Coast.
Governor Chris Christie had held a press conference at 5:30 p.m. on Monday shortly before Sandy smashed into the coastline. In typically blunt style he said: “For those of you who… decided it was a better idea to wait this out than to evacuate, and for those elected officials who decided to ignore my admonition, this is now your responsibility.”
Chris Christie said Atlantic City Mayor Lorenzo Langford erred by allowing people to shelter on the barrier island rather than moving them inland.
He warned those who had not evacuated to take shelter and ride out the storm as rescue operations had been suspended until daylight Tuesday.
The governor had said earlier in the day that those who did not heed evacuation orders were putting themselves and rescue workers in harm’s way, calling them “stupid and selfish”.
Hurricane Sandy was thought to have caused $20 billion of damage and left 17 dead up to now.
Related search articles:
- has atlantic city boardwalk been repaired
- snooki lorenzo photo
- mermaid found off of greenland
- chris kyle awards
- powered by SMF 2 0 halloween decorations to make at home
- what time did hurricane sandy hit lond island
- mermaid sightings greenland interview
- jones beach after storm
- sandy brook school principal
- Atlantic City post Sandy
- what date was hurricane sandy in ny
- senator chris stevens
- most affected parts of new jersey sandy
- what date did hurricane sandy hit lavallette nj
- newtown connecticut shooting field trip poem
- the field trip poem sandy hook
- powered by SMF halloween yard decoration ideas
- snookie lorenzo photo
- mark potok on sandy hook
- map of sandy damage in new jersey
- brain cancer bayville ny
- can a ac condenser be rpair after being flood by sandy storm
- coroner from sandy hook real job
- date huricane sandy hit ny
- dawn principal of sandy brook seen at boston marathon
- did sandy knoll really happen
- halloween snow maryland 2012
- has the riviera caterers in brooklyn reopened since sandy
- hurricane sandy dates ct
- Hurricane Sandy Hitting Baltimore
- lady liberty and hurricane sandy
- Les Miserables movie in Central New Jersey
- map of jone beach ny since sandy
- amanda the dog fire rescue
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=25771