Molemo Maarohanye, rapper Jub Jub, convicted of murder
South African rapper Molemo “Jub Jub” Maarohanye has been convicted of murder and attempted murder after driving into a group of schoolchildren in 2010.
Magistrate Brian Nemavhidi also convicted Molemo Maarohanye of racing on a public road and driving under the influence of drugs.
Jub Jub smashed his car into a group of pupils in Soweto in 2010, killing four of them and wounding two others.
Family members and schoolchildren cried as the judgement was handed down.
Molemo Maarohanye was one of South Africa’s best-known musicians, but he fell from grace after the crash, the BBC’s Pumza Fihlani in Johannesburg says.
Jub Jub’s co-accused, Themba Tshabalala, was also convicted of the charges.
They were allegedly drag-racing when their vehicles crashed into the children.
They had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Both had been out on bail since March 2010 – a decision which sparked protests among pupils who demanded their imprisonment.
Magistrate Brian Nemavhidi revoked their bail and remanded them in custody until sentencing on 30 November.
The court room in Soweto, the main black township in Johannesburg, was packed and there were emotional scenes when the verdict was given.
One of the parents fainted and had to be carried out of the court room.
The court ruled that Molemo Maarohanye and Themba Tshabalala were on cocaine and morphine when the accident happened.
The justice department welcomed the ruling, Sapa news agency reports.
“[The conviction] is clear confirmation of justice not only done but manifestly seen to be done,” its spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga is quoted as saying.
“We commend the National Prosecuting Authority’s aggressive stance of charging irresponsible drivers with murder instead of the usual culpable homicide, which usually attracts non-custodial sentences.”
Related search articles:
- Mthunzi Mhaga biography
- jub jub hairstyles
- adrianna lewis crime scene photos
- latest news on the murder case of jimmy mcclain
- latest war injury horrifying photos
- Maarohanye jubjub
- mark staake parole hearing
- Molemo jubjub Maarohanye
- molemo maarohanye biography
- molemo maarohanye parole
- molemo maarohanye religion
- photos of molemo jub jub marohanye
- The life of Jubjub Maarohanye
- what happens after i press charges against someone
- what is the latest news on molemo maarohanye
- what were the names of the children who were in the Molemo Maarohanye accident
- latest news of jodi arias conviction
- killer found in mcclain murder
- jub jub molemo
- annie lennox upskirt pics
- arias conviction
- arias sentenced
- benedetti irene crouse
- boy holds up mother head
- coca colaSAD
- defencex soweto
- dowler lala band google
- hector camacho at st cecilia church
- how many brothers and sisters does jose mujica have
- itlyan filmi molemo
- jimmy mcclain killed
- jimmy mcclains murder suspect
- John travis murder pictures
- why was jodi aris convicted
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=25143