Taken 2 tops US and Canadian box office with $50 million
Taken 2, Liam Neeson’s thriller sequel, has topped the US and Canadian box office, taking $50 million, despite a poor reception from critics.
That is double the opening weekend for the original film, which took $24.7 million in 2009.
Last week’s number one, Adam Sandler animation Hotel Transylvania, was at two with $26.3 million.
Glee-style musical Pitch Perfect was in third with $14.7 million, following a limited release last week.
The movie stars Anna Kendrick as a college student trying to liven up her a cappella singing group.
Sci-fi thriller Looper, starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, fell from second-place to fourth with $12.2 million.
Tim Burton’s stop motion monster tale Frankenweenie opened in fifth place, taking $11.5 million, after facing competition from rival spooky animation Hotel Transylvania.
Burton’s Disney tale, about a boy who brings his dead dog back to life, is shot in black and white in a homage to classic horror movies.
This week marks another improvement to cinema takings in the US and Canada with totals of $138 million, up 45.5% on the same weekend last year.
Taken 2′s distributors 20th Century Fox said they were surprised by the film’s opening numbers after experiencing a “sluggish market” since the summer.
Chris Aronson from the company said it had “exceeded our expectations”, adding: “The come in at $50 million is really remarkable, and a testament to this character that Liam has created.”
The sequel sees Liam Neeson as a retired CIA agent who gets kidnapped on holiday in Istanbul.
“Most people go to the movies for a certain dose of escapism,” continued Chris Aronson.
“It doesn’t have to be high art. It doesn’t have to be serious and contemplative. They go to the movies to be entertained, and my gosh, that’s what this movie does.”
Despite its relatively modest opening, 2009′s original went on to take more than $227 million around the world, and turned its Irish star into a Hollywood action hero with roles in Clash of the Titans, The A-Team and The Grey.
US and Canada box office – Top Five
1. Taken 2 – $50 million
2. Hotel Transylvania – $26.3 million
3. Pitch Perfect – $14.7 million
4. Looper – $12.2 million
5. Frankenweenie – $11.5 million
Related search articles:
- Movies Filming in Atlanta 2013
- pitch perfect asian girl
- arirang tv upskirt
- Asians Asian girls name in pitch perfect
- what movie is being filmed in chicago march 2013
- movies to be filmed in louisiana in 2013
- movies filming in baton rouge 2013
- xnxx ORGinal Astralia
- pitch perfect 2 anna kendricks
- pitch perfect 2 anna kendrick
- isabell huppert incestmovie
- movies filmed in nyc 2013
- pitch perfect sequel going to include anna kendrick
- r bruce and kris jenner still together
- will anne kendrick be in pitch perfect sequel
- whats being filmed jn nycay 2013
- uspkirt in tv
- topless natives videos
- taken 2 boyfriend singer
- star academy holland xnxx
- shirtless beard hunk
- real prono mapuka senegal private com
- mother breastfeedin to boy movie
- maya who workedfor cia
- malaza procedure on face
- find working torrents for tyler perrys temptation movie
- dreamworks adult
- download film disney pixar terbaru gratis
- cat lady multi breasts
- carly culkin upskirt
- boy named TJ in movie
- bonnie and clyde movie 2013 filming in louisiana
- bear was busted in a hotel
- first day of school for nyc public school for sept 2013
- granny solo queen videos
- major architects seattle 20th century
- latest news of robert pattinson and kristen stewart in 18 march 20123
- late 2013 movie filming in Atlanta GA
- la canda nackid techers
- indian college girl xvideo
- imgsrc ru masterbating boys pic
- heaven by deborah mitchell order canada
- handset xnxx com
- 2012 US adult movies
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=24830