Robert Mugabe wants to hold Zimbabwe’s elections in March 2013
Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe wants to hold elections in March 2013 with a referendum on a new constitution this November, court papers reveal.
His long-time rivals in the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) have condemned this timetable as “unrealistic”.
The two sides are unable to agree on a draft constitution, which is supposed to be in place before the new election.
Until now, Robert Mugabe, 88, has always insisted that the elections should be held this year.
The MDC, led by Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, backed by South African mediators, insists that a new constitution is in place before the new polls to ensure they are free and fair.
President Robert Mugabe, who has been in power since independence in 1980, denies accusations that previous elections were rigged in his favour.
Morgan Tsvangirai pulled out of the previous election, in 2008, citing systematic attacks on his supporters by the army and pro-Mugabe militias.
With the uncertainty pushing Zimbabwe’s economy into freefall, the pair then agreed to form a power-sharing government.
Robert Mugabe’s proposed election timetable was included in court papers in a case about when to hold by-elections.
The Supreme Court had ordered that by-elections for several vacant parliamentary seats be held by 1 October. However the president has appealed against the ruling, saying it would cost too much money when wider elections are expected soon.
This is by no means a fixed date for Zimbabwe’s long-awaited elections, but it is a sign of growing urgency.
But it was immediately rejected by MDC spokesman Douglas Mwonzora.
“The date for the election, especially, is unilateral, unrealistic and has no scientific or legal basis,” he told the AFP news agency.
Robert Mugabe and Morgan Tsvangirai would be expected to face each other in the poll, which is supposed to be held by next year.
Related search articles:
- who willwin in zim elections 2013
- philippine star 2013 election editorial
- prophecies on election 2013 vanuezela
- snowstorm in moscow 30 mar 2013
- snow storm in NE USA MArch 2013
- Robert Mogabe 2013
- robert de niro son and bi polar
- prophesy after 2013 elections in kenya
- presidential zimbabwe elections2013
- venezuela election 2013 polls
- zimbawe harare 2013 elections
- Venezuelan prophecies for kenya
- zimbabwe s referendum results2013
- zimbabwe election results2013
- zimbabwe election results
- Zim presidential elections2013
- venezuelan elections polls 2013
- WHO IS the leading election 2013
- where is asteroid ele now 2013
- venezulan 2013 elections
- powered by SMF 8th grade science fair ideas
- Phillipine editorials 2013
- editorial articles on election philippines
- editorial about election 2013 in the Philippines
- editorial about 2013 elections
- editorial about 2013 election
- deport peirs morgan
- current stage in papal election
- bath real aunty open
- articles about election in the philippines 2013
- ex-leader of papal state 2013
- movies shooting in nyc march 2013
- Movie Filming in March 2013 louisiana
- KKK on discovery cg
- is robert de niros brother mentally ill
- how much does voting cost the us government
- gokul milk election
- filam magabi xnxx
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=24360