German Roman Catholics face Holy Communion denial for unpaid church tax
German Roman Catholics are to be denied the right to Holy Communion or religious burial if they stop paying a special church tax.
The bishops have been alarmed by the number of Catholics leaving the Church.
They say such a step should be seen as a serious act against the community.
All Germans who are officially registered as Catholics, Protestants or Jews pay a religious tax of 8-9% on their annual income tax bill. The levy was introduced in the 19th Century in compensation for the nationalization of religious property.
“If your tax bill is for 10,000 euros, then 800 euros will go on top of that and your total tax combined will be 10,800 euros,” said Munich tax accountant Thomas Zitzelsberger.
Catholics make up around 30% of Germany’s population but the number of congregants leaving the church swelled to 181,000 in 2010, with the increase blamed on revelations of sexual abuse by German priests.
Alarmed by their declining congregations, the bishops were also pushed into action by a case involving a retired professor of church law, Hartmut Zapp, who announced in 2007 that he would no longer pay the tax but intended to remain within the Catholic faith.
The Freiburg University academic said he wanted to continue praying and receiving Holy Communion and a lengthy legal case between Prof.Hartmut Zapp and the church will reach the Leipzig Federal Administrative Court on Wednesday.
“This decree makes clear that one cannot partly leave the Church,” Germany’s bishops’ conference said last week, in a decision endorsed by the Vatican.
Unless they pay the religious tax, Catholics will no longer be allowed receive sacraments, except before death, or work in the church and its schools or hospitals.
Without a “sign of repentance before death, a religious burial can be refused,” the decree states. Opting out of the tax would also bar people from acting as godparents to Catholic children.
“This decree at this moment of time is really the wrong signal by the German bishops who know that the Catholic church is in a deep crisis,” said Christian Weisner from the grassroots Catholic campaign group We are Church.
But a priest from Mannheim in south-western Germany, Father Lukas Glocker, said the tax was used to do essential good works.
“With kindergarten, with homes for elderly or unemployed, we’ve got really good things so I know we need the tax to help the German country to do good things.”
While the decree severely limits active participation in the German Catholic Church, it does hold out some hope for anyone considering a return to the fold.
Until now, any German Catholic who stopped payment faced eventual excommunication. Although the measures laid out in the decree are similar to excommunication from the church, German observers say the word is carefully avoided in the decree.
Tax on Germany’s Christians:
• 25 million Catholics
• Tax worth 5 billion euros (2010)
• 24 million Protestants
• Tax worth 4.3 billion euros
• German population 82 million
Related search articles:
- www xvedio com
- german lifestyle clothing company
- german sports clothing manufacturer
- aflam six 2012
- shain gandee
- german sport clothing manufacturer
- german sports clothing manufacturer beginning with s
- german lifestyle clothing company logo
- german lifestyle clothing logo
- german lifestyle clothing with a t logo
- german sports clothing manufacturer logo
- german clothing brands
- adult breastfeeding
- german clothing company logo
- german lifestyle clothing company t
- german clothing company
- german lifestyle clothing company logo quiz
- german clothing logos
- german tgp
- german sports clothing manufacturer logos
- facebook xvideo
- german clothing brand logo
- www aflam deutsh com
- lost german girl 1945
- german clothing logo
- german clothing brands logo
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups world religions
- german sports clothes manufacturer
- upskirt bilder
- boys castrated and made into girls
- german shampoo commercials
- German Bunker Found
- german lifestyle company
- logo german lifestyle clothing company
- wikifeet germany
- what is the german word for lifestyle clothing company
- adult breastfeeding scenes
- aflam germany
- german sports clothing manufacturer logo S
- german sports clothing manufacturer largest in europe
- aflam six german
- german clothing company logo t
- german lifestyle clothing company t logo quiz
- german lifestyle clothing company logo t
- gurl imgur
- german adult breastfeeding movie
- german clothing logo with t symbol
- logo german lifestyl clothing company
- german clothing company logos
- german lifestyle clothing company with t logo
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=24162