iPhone 5 launch expected to boost American economy
Apple fans aren’t the only people chomping at the bit for the new iPhone to be released but now American economists are excited about the expected unveiling of the latest version because they think it will boost the US economy.
The next generation iPhone 5, which Apple plans to release on Wednesday, could not only boost the tech giant’s bottom line but could give a significant boost to the overall US economy.
Sales of the iPhone 5 could add between a quarter and a half percentage point to fourth quarter annualized growth in the US, according to J.P. Morgan’s chief economist, Michael Feroli in a note to clients on Monday.
Such an impact would be significant.
“Calculated using the so-called retail control method, sales of iPhone 5 could boost annualized GDP growth by $3.2 billion, or $12.8 billion at an annual rate,” Michael Feroli wrote.
That 0.33 percentage-point boost, he added, “would limit the downside risk to our Q4 GDP growth protection, which remains 2.0 percent”.
Michael Feroli laid out his math. J.P. Morgan’s analysts expect Apple to sell around 8 million iPhone 5s in the fourth quarter. They expect the sales price to be about $600.
With about $200 in discounted import component costs, the government can factor in $400 per phone into its measure of gross domestic product for the fourth quarter.
Michael Feroli said the estimate of between a quarter to a half point of annualized GDP “seems fairly large, and for that reason should be treated skeptically”.
But, he added, “we think the recent evidence is consistent with this projection”.
Michael Feroli said that when the last iPhone was launched in October 2011, sales significantly outperformed expectations.
“Given the iPhone 5 launch is expected to be much larger, we think the estimate mentioned … is reasonable,” Michael Feroli wrote.
According to a recent Reuters poll of Wall Street dealers and economists, US GDP was seen at 2.0% on average in 2013, down slightly from estimates this summer.
Related search articles:
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups free sales training
- michael buble bulge
- reviews of nicki minaj on american idol
- hairy native american muffin
- spain economy 2013
- 2013thai xxnx com
- pop singer britney spears xnxx movie
- Recent big foot sightings
- reviews of nikki menaj on american idol
- Spain economy
- topless afro americans
- tv anchors male fakes
- what is background of drug?
- picture of dead inside cofan for 10 years
- nicki minaj glitter eyes american idol
- nicki minaj glitter eye messup on concert
- bigfoot sightings 2013 april 3rd
- current desoverues for 2013
- did obamas vacation cost 1 8 billion?
- hiv cured two year old MS
- how academic was holly willouby?
- indian girl upskirt iphone
- is there a truth to michael douglas and catherine zeta-jones having marital problems
- latest astronomical discoveries 2013
- martin kristen bodyguard photo
- native american tribes trade with bigfoot
- yvette prieto parents names
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=23739