Nguyen Duc Kien’s arrest in Vietnam triggers Asia Commercial Bank run
Depositors in Vietnam have withdrawn hundreds of millions of dollars from Asia Commercial Bank, one of the country’s largest banks, after the arrest of tycoon Nguyen Duc Kien, one of its founders.
Nguyen Duc Kien, one of Vietnam’s richest businessmen, was arrested in Hanoi on Monday on suspicion of “economic violations”.
Shares in Asia Commercial Bank (ACB) slid as a result, causing depositors to panic.
The Central Bank has pumped millions into the bank to reassure depositors.
Large crowds of customers have gathered outside branches of ACB in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.
The government has said that Nguyen Duc Kien, who owns just under a 5% stake in ACB, is not involved in the day-to-day running of the bank.
Nguyen Duc Kien, whose family is the fifth richest in Vietnam, co-founded ACB in the 1990s. He is seen as a politically well-connected tycoon.
The allegations against him concern other investment companies that he owns, but there is also concern about the whereabouts of ACB’s chief executive officer Ly Xuan Hai.
Some reports say it is widely believed that Ly Xuan Hai is also under arrest or may have resigned.
Ly Xuan Hai’s deputy, Do Minh Toan, has been quoted as telling state media that depositors withdrew about 5 trillion dong ($240 million) from ACB on Wednesday.
The bank run has also put pressure on the dong and has led to an increase in the price of gold – traditionally seen as a safe-haven investment at times of economic instability.
Since Wednesday the Central Bank has injected 17 trillion dong into Vietnam’s commercial banking sector in an effort to mollify depositors and the market.
Nguyen Duc Kien’s sudden arrest has prompted speculation about a power struggle in communist-run Vietnam, and a suspected plot to curb the power of Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, to whom Kien has close ties.
ACB faced a run on its deposits in 2003 after rumors, which were later proved false, spread about the arrest of one of its executives at the time.
Nguyen Duc Kien is also a shareholder in other commercial banks, including Kien Long Commercial Joint Stock Bank and the Vietnam Export-Import Commercial Joint Stock Bank
He has also invested heavily in Vietnam’s professional football league.
Related search articles:
- granny vietnam
- uncle si military record
- why cyprus banks failed
- who is the actress with large breast in the general insurance commercial
- is maria sharapova a lesbian
- eyes on your paper girl
- general insurance over one million commercial cast
- who is woman in eyes on your on paper
- general insurance blonde big chest girl
- whitch unit in viet nam did si robertson serve with
- vietnam office girl xnxx
- nguyen duc kien
- virgin under age xvideo
- did si robertson see action in nam?
- Wwwxnexx vitnam
- girl in capital one commercial with Alex Baldwin as a secret agent
- xvideo grani
- did si robertson keep his uniform from vietnam service
- xnxx vellige vietnam
- xham steer vietnam
- Did si robertson face combat in vietnam
- whos the woman in the general insurance commercial
- weight watchers fever commercial
- Vietnamese mom and son
- vietnames xnxx com au
- vietnam out door
- mermaids in vietnam
- vietnAm model clip xnxx
- Vietnam - xvideo com
- www vietnamxvideo com
- viet xmaster
- viet nam xvidios
- what branch did si robertson serbe in
- what did si do in the vietnam war
- what part of vet nam did si served in
- xnxx clip vietnam 2013
- who own Asia Commercial Bank in VietNam
- who is the woman on the general insurance commercial
- xnxxviatnam com kh
- xvedeo stodent vatnamschool
- Who is the actress in general direct commercial with big breasts
- xvideo beatiful grannies take charge
- where did si robertson fight in vietnam
- when was Si in vietnam
- when was man shot in vietnam
- www veitnam xnxx
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=23010