Glasses-free 3D cinema technology under development in South Korea
South Korean researchers have developed a technology that could lead to the creation of glasses-free 3D films at cinemas.
It uses a barrier with slats so that when a viewer looks at the screen each of their eyes sees the image differently.
As a result their brain creates an illusion of depth.
TV makers have tried to use a similar approach, but require viewers to be in a particular spot to see a 3D image.
This would not be possible in a cinema where the audience needs to be able to watch the screen from a wide variety of angles.
“This new method seems to be a viable one for providing glasses-free 3D environment with front-projection technology – instead of using multiple projectors, it only uses one,” said Prof. John Koshel from the College of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona, who edited the study for publication.
He explained that the standard way to create 3D-images on a movie screen was to use stereoscopy: the technique involves projecting two 2D-images through a special filter.
To the naked eye the two offset versions of the footage appear to be superimposed over each other. But if the viewer wears polarized glasses the left lens only lets in one of the images, and the right lens the other, creating a sense of depth.
To go glasses-free TV makers have used a different technique involving what is known as a “parallax barrier”.
This involves placing a barrier in front of the image source which has slats in it similar to those of Venetian blind.
These slats are angled so that light from one set of the TV screen’s pixels shines through and is directed to one of the viewer’s eye, and light from another set is shown to the other eye – with no overlap.
But this only provides a 3D-effect if the watcher is sitting in a specific spot.
Manufacturers have created televisions showing several pairs of images – allowing a single screen to support several family members sitting in specific positions. But they cannot support the dozens – or even hundreds – of people sitting in a cinema at the same time.
The South Korean team mimicked this technique, but adapted it to support a much wider variety of viewing angles.
They did this by creating the slat-effect using polarizers – similar to those used in the lenses of 3D cinema glasses.
Their screen was also covered with a special coating, and this combined with their adapted barrier produced many pairs of images – enough in theory to accommodate a cinema audience.
The lead scientist Byoungho Lee, professor at Seoul National University, said that more research was necessary, but the technology “might constitute a simple, compact, and cost-effective approach to producing widely available 3D cinema, while also eliminating the need for wearing polarizing glasses”.
Related search articles:
- Powered by Article Dashboard computer technology services
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups environmental education science and technology
- ultra resolution indian armpit photos
- john abraham picture large more than 180 picel
- girl 250 pixels
- pak mona lisa clevage pics frm murder3
- stockings and suspenders
- hairs in breast of indian actress
- mallu actress under wear vissible up skirt
- indian flag pics 399 pixels
- sauth indian girl armpit hair images
- 399 pixel images of minnie mouse
- armpit hair show indian actress pics
- xvideo korea dog 18 year
- xnxx cinema italy mother
- uses of lens in daily life
- shahd afride new sxs
- wx xvedeo com
- samantha guthrie feet in pantyhose
- Ryujihye xvideo
- removing bra pictures
- Www xnxx dara kh
- sitting upkirts
- utrecht in 399 pixels
- time savings 2013 photos
- tamil armpit large picture/
- wearing briefs murder
- western cape magistrate court about defencex
- what brand of belt is yolanda always wearing
- which artist in south africa sings hangover
- south indian actor sucking actress breast milk images
- south african army girls
- sweet seventeen pictures upskirtgirl
- paetongtarn shinawatra surrey university
- desi girls tight thigh and crack visseble pics through legings
- Desh garl fengar heir
- daylight savings time picture 2013
- day savings time 2013 picture
- cute walls of 150 pixels
- clubmasters cloudy lens
- Boycott Colorado Tourism due to unfair laws imposed by Democrats
- aunty bhabhi gap show in paint pic
- aishwarya rai navel kiss fake
- actress saree swet arm pits pictures
- abdominal pooling and ibs support pantyhose 2013
- dolls images of 399pixels wide and 150pixels tall
- emma watson in bondage pictures
- girl open toylet com
- newscasters not wearing panties
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=22949