South Africa: 9 people killed in Lonmin platinum mine union riots
Nine people have been killed in clashes between rival unions at a South African mine owned by leading platinum producer Lonmin, police have said.
The dead included two policemen attacked by a mob, and three workers killed by officers, at the mine in North West province, police said.
The violence is linked to a battle for membership between a new and a long-established trade union.
South Africa has most one of the most unionized work forces in the world.
It is also the world’s biggest platinum producer, accounting for three quarters of global output.
There has been a surge in inter-union violence at mines recently.
Earlier this month, another firm, Aquarius Platinum, briefly shut one of its shafts after an attack that left three dead and at least 20 injured, Reuters news agency reports.
Police spokesman Brigadier Thulani Ngubane said the attackers were deploying “guerrilla tactics”, rapidly forming crowds to carry out attacks – in 5,000-strong mobs – before dispersing.
Lonmin said the situation was “volatile” at its Western Platinum mine, 100 km (60 miles) north-west of Johannesburg.
The plant was operating at reduced capacity and was under heavy police guard, it added.
Police spokesman Brigadier Lindela Mashigo said the two policemen were killed after a mob attacked them near the mine with machetes, Reuters reports.
Police responded by opening fire, killing three protesters, he said.
“We came under attack. The suspects took our weapons. A shoot-out ensued and during that incident three suspects were fatally injured,” the spokesman said.
The violence has been triggered by a turf war between the long-established National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and a newcomer, the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU), which is more militant, analysts say.
In other cases of union violence at Western Platinum mine, two security guards were hacked to death on Sunday and another two had recently been burnt to death, said Brigadier Thulani Ngubane.
At least three people were killed in a similar round of violence in January that led to a six-week closure of the world’s largest platinum mine, run by Impala Platinum, Reuters reports.
Related search articles:
- qvc hacked?
- lift and carry magic
- how to cook giant african snails
- albanian bissnes man killed
- www african unfaithful wifes caught on camera pics
- who killed kenya hodges
- large figure south actress
- matt white murdered funeral
- NEEDS TO GET A POLICE REPORT FROM SAN MARCOS TX WHAT THE PHONE NUMBER THERER
- net income south africa
- nicki minaj kissing boys private parts
- platinum blond male actors
- sarb defencex
- snapchat slut username database
- storage wars actor kills himself
- who killed jr in dallas tv show 2013
- kids who got killed
- 9 people killed in africa
- hacked preteen photoes
- all models males /females /killed in 20 years
- belle stripper south africa
- benghazi individuals killed
- cardinal player hit wife
- cheating girlfriend you tube video on facebook
- china killer december 2012
- cooking Giant African snail
- current event articles in africa 2013
- current events about kids getting killed in school
- dallas tv show episodes-2013
- denton tx 21 year old girl shot in face by boyfriend
- dorothy shecter girl killed near delhi ny
- family membership at lifetime fitness and divorce
- girl shot denton
- young muggers kill baby
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=22610