Prostatic Artery Embolization revolutionizes prostate surgery and ends post-op impotence
Men facing prostate surgery could avoid post-operative impotence with a simple new treatment called Prostatic Artery Embolization that uses microscopic plastic beads.
At the moment, the standard treatment is to cut out a section of the swollen prostate. But complications are common following this operation, and every year thousands are left suffering with sexual dysfunction, incontinence, infection and bleeding.
Prostatic Artery Embolization can be done under a local anaesthetic using a catheter (a small plastic tube) to inject tiny plastic particles no bigger than a grain of sand into the blood vessels that feed the swollen prostate.
Radiologists pinpoint where to deposit the tiny spheres by watching on an X-ray television monitor as they insert the catheter through the thigh’s right femoral artery and into the tiny blood vessels that branch off it.
These spheres “plug” these blood vessels, reducing the blood flow to the prostate and forcing it to shrink by as much as a third. The remaining blood supply allows the prostate to function at a healthier level.
“With a faster recovery, reduced symptoms, improved urination and fewer potential side effects, it could lead to changes in accepted prostate therapy,” say researchers.
Clinical trials in Portugal and Brazil have indicated that the procedure is effective and safe, with minimal side effects and no risk of incontinence or impotence.
Most of the 200 cases involved in the studies went home within four to six hours of treatment.
In particular, one trial, conducted at the University of São Paulo, Brazil, showed that there was an average 30% reduction in the size of the gland after treatment.
Another, based on 84 men who were followed for nine months after the operation, reported a 98.5% success rate, with 91.7% of patients saying they had extreme improvement in their symptoms.
Currently, half of all men will show tissue change associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) by the age of 50 – a figure that increases to 75% among 80-year-olds.
Although not life-threatening, the condition sees the prostate – a walnut-sized gland surrounding the urethra, which carries urine out of the body – swell so big that it causes an obstruction. Symptoms include poor urine flow, more frequent urination, urinary tract infections and an inability to empty the bladder.
There are a number of surgical techniques, with Trans-Urethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP) considered the standard treatment.
In this procedure, carried out under general anaesthetic, sections of the prostate are shaved off to ease the blockage.
Conventional drug treatments include alpha-blockers, which work by relaxing the muscles at the neck of the bladder and in the prostate, and alpha-reductase inhibitors, which block production of a hormone called DHT, which contributes to prostate enlargement.
Some drug therapies are associated with side effects including dizziness and headaches.
But prostatic artery embolization could side-step such issues. And it has already been used in cases of advanced prostate cancer complicated by intractable bleeding.
Related search articles:
- prostatic artery embolization
- Apeman and jen part2
- prostate cancer embolization
- mt dew kickstart bph
- juice recipe for prostate cancer
- Prostate Artery Embolisation Alexandria VA
- prostatic artery embolization south carolina
- sunny levion xnxx
- XNXXBARAZIL BIBY BLAK
- willards tablets for ulcers
- brasil boys imgrsc ru
- xnxx bbb13 aviv
- prostate embolization medical necessity
- prostate embolization
- where to get prostate artery proceedure
- prostate cancer treatment embolization
- xxnx big bratherbrazil
- Prostate Artery Embolization Baltimore Maryland
- Prostatic arterial embolization in New York City Hospitals
- WWW TOPLES PRETEENS COM
- prostatic artery embolization 2012
- prostatic artery embolization done in U S
- prostatic artery embolization for advanced prostate cancer
- prostatic artery embolization in los angeles
- prostatic artery embolization in usa
- prostatic artery embolization los angeles
- why did lady gaga need a hip operation?
- where do they perform prostatic artery embolisation in virginia?
- prostatic artery embolization in orlando
- prostate arterial embolisation london
- Embolisation of prostate for bleeding
- dr eris la shrinks surgery
- does ceaser milan have dental implants
- city toples brazil
- chiquis rivera lip fillers
- celluvera brasil
- callus under pinky toe
- bph treatment using bead in blood vessels to shrink the prostate
- bph embolisation deutschland
- embolization prostate portland oregon
- prostata embolisation
- prostata embilization israel
- lady dont wear underwear with short skirt in street
- kenneth chin brown louisiana guitarist living in brazil
- jasmina marazita weather girl
- is embolisation of prostate done in south africa
- ian naturism brazil
- girls undergoing labiaplasty
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=22576