Penn State University fined $60M over assistant coach Jerry Sandusky scandal
US college sport authorities have fined Penn State University $60 million in the wake of child sex abuse perpetrated by assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
Famous US football school Penn state University will be banned from competing for honors for four years, and lose all wins from 1998-2011.
The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) said the punishments were “corrective and punitive”.
Assistant coach Jerry Sandusky was found guilty of 45 counts of sex abuse.
He abused 10 boys over a period of 15 years, a court found, judging him to have preyed on boys he met through a charity, Second Mile, that he founded himself.
Jerry Sandusky has not been sentenced but could spend the rest of his life in prison.
The NCAA said the fines were equivalent to the annual gross revenue of the Penn State football programme.
The money is to be given to an endowment funding external programmes to prevent child abuse and help victims.
“Football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said.
“The sanctions needed to reflect our goals of providing cultural change.”
Other NCAA sanctions against Penn State include:
• A ban on participating in post-season games – or playoffs – for four years, including the 2012-2013 season
• Number of football scholarships limited for the next four years, a reduction of 10 places per year
• Football wins revoked between 1998-2011
• A five-year probation on all sports at Penn State
• Adoption of all recommendations for reform in Section 10 of an FBI investigation into abuse at Penn State
• Appointment of an NCAA-selected Athletics Integrity Monitor for five years
• Further penalties against individuals could come after criminal proceedings end.
Correspondents say the sanctions are unprecedented in their severity, although the NCAA did not impose the “death penalty” and close the entire football programme.
The fallout from the scandal has sullied the reputation of Penn State’s former head football coach Joe Paterno.
Joe Paterno, who died earlier this year, months before the resolution of the case, won more college football games in his long career at Penn State than any other head coach in university sport.
He was heavily criticized in a report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh, issued after the guilty verdict, which said the highest-ranking officials at Penn State failed utterly to protect victims and potential victims from Jerry Sandusky.
Many of his wins will now be expunged from the record books.
On Sunday a statue of Joe Paterno was removed from outside the university, after it was deemed to have become a “lightning rod of controversy”.
Related search articles:
- Powered by Article Dashboard oregon state
- Powered by Article Dashboard state of oregon
- Powered by Article Dashboard oregon state football game
- powered by phpBB arkansas breaking news
- how many victims of sandy hook
- Powered by Article Dashboard Sign Up for a free account -forum the dark collection
- fresno state cheerleaders upskirt
- hollywoodabuse com vedios
- haney bank karachi
- Powered by Article Dashboard Sign Up for a free account -forum last minute travel hawaii
- penn state football player mask
- hollywood illegitimate child controversies
- YouTube freeballing in cargo pants
- xnxx karachi univerasty
- worlds last buck wild episode
- will sonic change ugly dashboard
- whst location is mowtown revue playing tonight
- who are the brunei beauties?
- videos ofkerala ayurvedic therapy of back buttocks of women in youtube
- UEFA bulge
- soursop resesrch at yale hosp
- powered by phpBB legal terms information
- lolastube ru bolwoy jopa
- li ying zhi scandal
- Kate de castelbajac
- aaron fisher abc part 2
- air hostest scandal video
- amanda lewis news anchor
- BA scandal?
- barry cadden jail time
- blue catsuit vibratior
- brazilian lsbo sitin nose
- collegia upskrit
- does donald trump think jodi arias is guilty or innocent
- entertainments highest earners 2013
- famous actors playgirl centerfolds
- former fresno state cheerleaders
- Highest earners in each team football 2013
- highest football eaners
- hollywoodAbues com -videos
- how was the buck wild guy found dead?
- Is tallula willis on command clear commercial
- 16 How long did it take workers to complete construction of the Empire Stat building?
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=21869