Rare footage captures real sound of 1953 A-bomb blast in Nevada
Alex Wellerstein, a historian of science at the American Institute of Physics, has shared a unique video of a blast during America’s testing of nukes in the Yucca Mountain area of Nevada during the 1950s.
The historian was sent the video below from a Russian colleague, and has now shared it on his blog.
Alex Wellerstein wrote: “Most films of nuclear explosions are dubbed. If they do contain an actual audio recording of the test blast itself (something I’m often suspicious of – I suspect many were filmed silently and have a stock blast sound effect), it’s almost always shifted in time so that the explosion and the sound of the blast wave are simultaneous.
“This is, of course, quite false: the speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound, and the cameras are kept a very healthy distance from the test itself, so in reality the blast wave comes half a minute or so after the explosion. Basic physics that even a non-technical guy like me can understand.
“It’s rare to find footage where the sound has not been monkeyed with in post-processing. So I was pleased when a Russian correspondent sent me a link to footage digitized by the National Archives of a 1953 nuclear test. The footage is very raw: it hasn’t been edited much, and is a bit washed out, but the audio is still in <<correct>>, original sync.”
Civilians were allowed to watch this blast from 11 miles away, partly an attempt by the government to allay public fears about the dangers of nuclear fallout.
Alex Wellerstein adds: “The audio is what makes this great. Put on some headphones and listen to it all the way through – it’s much more intimate than any other test film I’ve seen. Troops were also on hand, and they can be heard shouting <<Whoa>> and <<Jeez!>> at the end of the video.
“You get a much better sense of what these things must have been like, on the ground, as an observer, than from your standard montage of blasts.
“Murmurs in anticipation; the slow countdown over a megaphone; the reaction at the flash of the bomb; and finally – a sharp bang, followed by a long, thundering growl. That’s the sound of the bomb.
“There were U.S. troops there as well, as part of Operation Desert Rock V. They provide a huge amount of ambient noise.”
Related search articles:
- powered by SMF playing golf while pregnant
- powered by SMF drug use in pregnancy
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups adam audio
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups ap physics
- powered by SMF cures
- powered by SMF nm drug rehabilitation
- powered by SMF 2 0 playing golf while pregnant
- powered by SMF connecticut school of broadcasting
- powered by SMF stock
- powered by SMF types of drugs
- powered by SMF sound of
- powered by SMF 2 0 connecticut school of broadcasting
- powered by SMF 2 0 distance education technology
- powered by SMF 2 0 types of drug treatment programs
- buner pati khan
- powered by SMF games to play on golf course
- marino tennis upskirt
- powered by SMF parry sound ontario
- powered by SMF free nature screensavers ireland
- jar soot sound
- powered by SMF 2 0 physics of sound
- powered by SMF 2 0 nuclear physics
- buner dagger blast
- BANGLADESH NEWS PAPER saxy
- luka rocco magnotta video killing
- xnx suicidegirls mel
- buckwild behind the scene uncencered
- powered by SMF turkeys playing golf
- anne hathaway flash uncensored3
- 65G Sound 1
- quee elizabeth stomach virus
- xnxx with sound
- russian feet crush rabbit
- Sibi girl rep youtube
- swimming in her underwear video
- what are the causes of bom explosions in a country
- myanmar girl microbikini
- powered by SMF real estate parry sound ontario
- buner paty khan bom blast video
- powered by SMF 2 0 nature sounds player
- multi bulo miranda
- powered by SMF 2 0 parry sound ontario
- movie in alaska 2013
- movie being filmed summer 2013 connecticut
- mexico fighting reality show
- powered by SMF and drug treatment program
- KIDNEY CANCER FROM 1953 YUCCA FLATS NEVADA
- 3d soot jar
- falen tree at ground zero
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=21634