Children’s TV habits can predict their waist circumference and muscular fitness
Children who watch TV an increased number of hours between the ages of two and four years old risk larger waistlines by age 10.
A Canadian study found that every extra weekly hour watched could add half a millimetre to their waist circumference and reduce muscle fitness.
The study, in a BioMed Central journal, tracked the TV habits of 1,314 children.
Experts say children should not watch more than two hours of TV a day.
Researchers found that the average amount of television watched by the children at the start of the study was 8.8 hours a week.
This increased on average by six hours over the next two years to reach 14.8 hours a week by the age of four-and-a-half.
Fifteen per cent of the children in the study were watching more than 18 hours per week by that age, according to their parents.
The study said the effect of 18 hours of television at 4.5 years of age would by the age of 10 result in an extra 7.6 mm of waist because of the child’s TV habit.
As well as measuring waist circumference, the researchers also carried out a standing long jump test to measure each child’s muscular fitness and athletic ability.
An extra weekly hour of TV can decrease the distance a child is able to jump from standing by 0.36 cm, the study said.
The researchers said that further research was needed to work out whether television watching is directly responsible for the health issues they observed.
Dr. Linda Pagani, study co-author from the University of Montreal, said it was a warning about the factors which could lead to childhood obesity.
“The bottom line is that watching too much television – beyond the recommended amounts – is not good,” Dr. Linda Pagani said.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children aged over two should not watch more than two hours of television per day.
Dr. Linda Pagani added: “Across the occidental world, there have been dramatic increases in unhealthy weight for both children and adults in recent decades.
“Our standard of living has also changed in favor of more easily prepared, calorie-dense foods and sedentary practices.
“Watching more television not only displaces other forms of educational and active leisurely pursuits but also places them at risk of learning inaccurate information about proper eating.”
The study said that habits and behaviors became entrenched during childhood and these habits might affect attitudes to sporting activities in adulthood.
Related search articles:
- Powered by Article Dashboard when the television invented
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups kids cooking
- how many children does willlie robertson have
- extreem waist photo gallery
- Does Yoland Foster have children
- is jase robertsons wife expecting a baby?
- does tolkien have any children
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups children\s television production companies
- willierobertson how manychildrendotheyhave
- psycic twins prediction on the jodi arais trial
- kimbella pubic hair on boat
- planet fitness national commercial-hot actress
- the names of the models in planet fitness so hot commercial
- tarot cards predict jodi arias verdict
- ssbbw thigh
- how si robertson lost his tooth
- xn xx egypt slum
- tv anchors nue
- www xnxx students Korea original com
- wrapped up between ssbbw thighs
- world records 8 diameter hips
- who are the twin sisters at the jodi arias trial
- where is willie robertson other children
- where is si robertson wife and children
- weak legs from nitrous
- vogue waist circumference
- us weekly how i got thin fast kourtney
- planet fitness brunette actress
- people and their kids shot by muggers
- newton kids photo after being sjhot
- does yolanda foster have children
- does willie robertson have two daughters
- daily motion hollywood movies the first still rambo
- courtney season 11 gained weight
- condition of Sugar Bear -- Alona s Dad
- children in china stabbed on dec 14 2012
- benadryl dosage for children Illinois
- Bangui mom game
- african black mamas upskirts com
- does yolanda foster have kids with david foster
- family nudisim magazines
- korie robertsons maiden namee and family
- korie robertsons dna
- kids watching tv commercial
- kid in front of tv
- jodi arias jury twins
- how many kids doeswillie robinson
- how many daughters does willie robertson have?
- how many childres does david foster have
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=21613