The women of Watergate scandal that helped Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein to topple Richard Nixon
Since 1972, the public attention on Watergate scandal has been centered on all the president’s men, but the story is not without its fair share of female characters.
One of them was Judy Hoback, was working as a bookkeeper for the committee to re-elect President Nixon in 1972 when she was contacted by Carl Bernstein.
Judy Hoback told the BBC: “[Woodward and Bernstein] were pushy young men. I was really scared and they played on that.”
Now known as Judy Miller, she was the only employee from the CRP who willingly spoke with the Washington Post.
In a recent discussion with Carl Bernstein at the Watergate Hotel, Bob Woodward said Judy Hoback did more for them than Deep Throat himself, spurned CIA man Mark Felt, according to Politico.
Bob Woodward said: “There were stages when [Mark Felt] really helped us, but the real turning point in the coverage of Watergate was when Carl found the bookkeeper.
“[Hoback] had the details of the money and who controlled it and who got the money. You look at All the President’s Men, I really think the book-keeper is the key source.”
Debbie Sloan, the wife of CRP treasurer Hugh Sloan who was pregnant at the time, also did her part to aid in the Post investigation, when she allowed Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein into their home.
It was the couple’s honesty that helped confirm key details for the reporters, including details about key Republican officials involved in illegal shenanigans.
Debbie Sloan told the BBC: “We never thought six months ahead. We just thought <<this is what we have to do today>> because we have to live with ourselves and teach our children our values.”
She added: “Neither one of us ever considered lying about it. Ever.”
Marilyn Berger, a fellow Washington Post reporter, became part of the story when she alerted Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein that Ken Clawson, a member of the Nixon administration’s communications team, wrote the Canuck Letter, a forged letter to the editor of the Manchester Union Leader that alleged presidential contender Edmund Muskie was prejudiced against those of French Canadian descent.
The letter led Edmund Muskie, who was seen as the top threat to Richard Nixon’s re-election, to withdraw from the race.
The exposure of Ken Clawson as the Canuck Letter’s writer revealed a disturbing “dirty tricks” campaign by the Nixon camp.
The larger-than-life personality of Martha Mitchell, the Nixon campaign worker and wife of Attorney General John Mitchell made her the most flamboyant of the female Watergate figures.
In All the President’s Men, Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein referred to Martha Mitchell as a “bizarre aspect of the Watergate affair” and “something of a truth-teller in Washington”.
In a 1974 interview with British journalist David Frost, Martha Mitchell said: “I was brainwashed. I was told this is what goes on in campaigns.”
Martha Mitchell died two years later, in 1976.
Related search articles:
- ice t and coco scandal
- which of the following was not an outcome of the watergate scandal?
- bob woodward net worth
- www xnxxkora
- al bernstein net worth
- wang rui er x video
- jenni riveras letter to sister
- www youtube vedio1 gamgam asia
- mimi hariri xnxx
- WATERGATE list of those involved
- amurderlovestoryhollywoodxnxx com
- vanessab richard australia pic
- Hindi story armpit chati
- her miniest skirt
- topless woman on treadmill
- youtube found on camer cheating
- Eft @59 co za www eftforme coza
- convicted watergate
- women undressing on stage
- watergate scandal
- richard zanucks net worth
- suspenders for women
- scandal in vaticano
- videos of making him feminine
- suzie kennedy topless
- The Bookkeeper and Watergate
- scandal of sajib wazed Joy
- Traci Peel country singer
- watergate scandel nixon letter
- women removing their pantyhose at the airport
- xvideo soso germany
- xoliswa kaneli
- www xtube com abuse scandal
- Woodward and the watergate scandel
- womens taking off bathing suits
- women undress on stage
- women taking bikini
- women peeing videos in the 1940s
- why include martha mitchell in all the presidents men
- Who was Oscar Pistorius with in Las Vegas in Decemb er?
- which of the following was not an outcome of the watergate scandal
- What woman was fired in the watergate scandal
- watergate unreliable articles
- richard burton autopsy report
- polititians that played musical instruments
- how was mickey mouse a turning point
- how much did richard zanuck house sell for in 2012
- haridwar women bathing
- female investment banker kills herself in the UK
- dinora is a beautiful woman but what a man who called himself a surgeon did to her left her devastated -- and deformed
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=20606