Samsung overtakes Nokia to become the world’s largest mobile phones’ maker
According to research firm Strategy Analytics, Samsung Electronics has overtaken Nokia to become the world’s largest maker of mobile phones.
Nokia took the top spot in 1998 from Motorola, but in the first quarter of 2012 Samsung shipped 93 million phones compared to almost 83 million by Nokia.
Samsung also reported its highest quarterly profit since 2008.
Net profit was 5.05 trillion won ($4.5 billion) in the quarter ending 31 March, up 81% from 2.78 trillion won last year.
Samsung is also the world’s biggest TV and flat screen maker.
“We cautiously expect our earnings momentum to continue going forward, as competitiveness in our major businesses is enhanced,” said Robert Yi, head of investor relations at Samsung.
Samsung said its IT and mobile communications division, which manufactures the smartphones, made an operating profit of 4.27 trillion won during the period, as revenues in the division surged 86% from a year earlier.
Samsung will unveil the latest version of its Galaxy range of phones on 3 May.
The Galaxy range has been very popular and helped Samsung overtake Apple to become the world’s biggest seller of smartphones.
“The smartphone market has almost only two players, Samsung and Apple,” said Lee Sei-Cheol of Meritz Securities.
“Since its Galaxy3 phone is being unveiled in May, Samsung will keep enjoying sales growth in its mobile phone division.”
Global demand for smartphones is expected to increase further in coming years, with research firm IDC forecasting that global smart phone shipments will rise by a third to 659.8 million units in 2012.
Analysts said that given its robust growth and dominance in the sector, Samsung was well placed to benefit from this growth and boost its market share.
However, given the robust growth in the sector, other smartphone makers are also keen to introduce new products and tap into the fast-growing market.
Samsung is facing stiff competition from rivals such as US-based Apple, Finland’s Nokia, and Taiwan’s HTC.
Apple, which said earlier this week that it sold 35 million of its iPhones in the first quarter, is expected to launch a new version of its handset later this year.
Analysts said that as more models are launched, manufacturers may have to the cut price of their handsets in a bid to attract consumers, a move that may see profit margins shrink.
“Samsung’s handset earnings may weaken in the latter half of this year, with the possible launch of Apple’s iPhone 5,” said Brian Park of Tong Yang Securities.
Another area of concern for Samsung is likely to be its chip manufacturing unit, which has been hurt by slowing global demand for personal computers.
The firm is one of the world’s biggest makers of dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) chips, which are widely used in personal computers.
However, demand for these chips has been declining as consumers turn to tablet PCs, which mostly use flash memory chips.
At the same time, falling prices have also hurt profitability in the sector.
Samsung’s memory-chip division saw its profits slide by 54% during the first quarter when compared with the same period a year earlier.
The company said it expected the demand for DRAM chips to rebound in the coming months, but warned that growing competition in the sector “will lead to a price decline”.
Related search articles:
- samsung new phone 2013
- blond actress in best buy commerical
- number one murder city in 2013
- samsung commercial best buy woman name
- marilyn monroe phone case galaxy note 2
- marilyn monroe heat case galaxy s2
- samsunggalaxi grand
- japan economic growth 2012
- is Jay Leno in an insurance commercial?
- blonde actress on best buy commercial asking about phones
- samsung basic phones philippines
- who is the asian girl in the samsung phone ads?
- blonde actress on best buy comercial
- best buy commercial cell phone actress
- samsung galaxy tab screen repair houston tx
- Who is the tallest person in the world in 2013
- world largest mobile in length
- samsung new mobile 2013
- samsung mobiles 3 to 4k ranges
- www galaxigrand
- samsung keypad phones pic 2013
- samsung kepad pohone in 2013 india
- who is the tallest in the world in 2013
- samsung phones and celebrity
- samsung planned obsolescence phones
- what are the new phones may of 2013
- whart is the newest phone for May 2013
- virgin mobile 2013 new ummer phones
- tmobile phones for summer 2013
- teens boys world tom and martin
- teen tube 8 babi force
- smallest crocodilian recorded
- samsunggalaxy 2013philippines
- who is the largest body builders
- what new phones due out Nov 2013
- Reasons for kloes kirdashians hair to fall out?
- indianclub aunty com
- how to send photos in smart mobile phones samsung
- hottest 14 year old in the world 2012
- flip phone for 2013
- coming storm new york may 2013
- cell phone footage of girls held in house being rescued
- 3d note 2 cases
- black male using cell phone in a car pictures
- biggest belgian malinois
- bext 2013 pink cell phones
- best smart phone payment apps
- korea clamshell phones 2013
- Koryolink phones
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=18475