North Koreans are three inches shorter than South Koreans
Many reports claimed that North Koreans are a few inches shorter than their counterparts south of the border.
Is that true?
North Korea’s recent failure to launch a long-range rocket was embarrassing for its new leader, Kim Jong-Un. It was supposed to be a symbol of progress.
Renewed media interest in North Korea since Kim Jong-Un replaced his father has prompted the re-emergence of a claim which appears to be a symbol not of progress, but of relative decline: that North Koreans are much shorter than South Koreans.
The Independent reported last week that “nothing is small in North Korea apart from the people, who are on average three inches shorter than their cousins in the South”.
This statistic, or versions of it, have been quoted for some time. In 2010 the late Christopher Hitchens put the difference at six inches in an article in Slate titled A Nation of Racist Dwarfs.
Senator John McCain referred to a three-inch gap in a 2008 presidential debate.
So what’s the truth? Professor Daniel Schwekendiek from Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul has studied the heights of North Korean refugees measured when they crossed the border into South Korea.
He says North Korean men are, on average, between 3 – 8 cm (1.2 – 3.1in) shorter than their South Korean counterparts.
A difference is also obvious between North and South Korean children.
“The height gap is approximately 4 cm (1.6in) among pre-school boys and 3 cm (1.2in) among pre-school girls, and again the South Koreans would be taller.”
Prof. Daniel Schwekendiek points out that the height difference cannot be attributed to genetics, because the two populations are the same.
“We’re dealing with the Korean people,” he says, “and Korea is interesting because it basically hasn’t experienced any immigration for many centuries.”
“Food and what happens in the first two years of life is actually critical for people’s height later,” he says.
In the 1990s North Korea suffered a terrible famine. Today, according to the World Food Programme, “one in every three children remains chronically malnourished or ‘stunted’, meaning they are too short for their age”.
South Korea, in contrast, has experienced rapid economic growth. Bloem says “economic growth is one of the main determinants of height improvement”.
So while North Koreans have been getting shorter, South Koreans have been getting taller.
“If you look at older Koreans,” says Prof. Daniel Schwekendiek, “we now see a situation where the average South Korean woman is approaching the height of the average North Korean man.
“This is to my knowledge a unique situation, where women become taller than men.”
The secretive nature of North Korea makes it difficult to find reliable data for analysis.
Prof. Daniel Schwekendiek has studied refugees, but he rejects the notion that people driven to cross the border to South Korea are the most disadvantaged and therefore most likely to be stunted.
The refugees, he says, “come from all social strata and from all regions”.
He has also studied data collected by the North Korean government and by international organizations working in North Korea, which he says support his findings.
It seems that this height statistic reveals a tragic fact – that as South Koreans have got richer and taller, North Korean children are being stunted by malnourishment.
Related search articles:
- major south korean conglomerate
- Powered by Article Dashboard south park sounds
- Powered by Article Dashboard community college
- Powered by Article Dashboard south fulton
- Powered by Article Dashboard south jersey regional healthcare system
- Powered by Article Dashboard former ceo of south west regional health authority
- major south korean conglomerate logo
- Powered by Article Dashboard south central regional jail wv
- Powered by Article Dashboard community property
- ekaterina putina
- Powered by Article Dashboard hiking areas
- south korean conglomerate logos
- south korean conglomerate logo
- south korean conglomerate
- south korean conglomerate company logos
- Average Life Expectancy for 2013
- north korean conglomerate logo
- tamron hall height weight
- korean xnxx com
- major south korean conglomerate logos
- images of indian aunties and bhabhis in saree
- powered by SMF former ceo of south west regional health authority
- xnxx comusa
- korea xvedios
- korean actor full frontal
- south korea xnxx girl
- major conglomerate south korea
- powered by SMF 2 0 south jersey regional healthcare
- major south korean conglomerate with silver logo
- psychic twins on north korea
- south korean conglomerate symbols
- south korean conglomerate silver logo
- preteen model video
- South african female celebrities armpits
- south korean conglomerate company logo
- tall korean actors
- indian hot erotic travel stories in karnataka crowded buses
- Small girls under arms hair pics
- south korean women vs north korea women
- south indian actress malfunction behind the scenes
- south korean girls
- korean full frontal
- Tall korean actress
- does sofia vergara have brown eyes
- girls dance competition xnxx
- WWW KOREANFULLFRONTAL CO
- car logo that looks like a mask
- powered by SMF where to buy entertainment book
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=18160