King Juan Carlos apologizes to the Spanish people for going on a hunting trip in Botswana
King Juan Carlos of Spain has apologized to his people for going on a hunting trip in Botswana while his country was in the midst of an economic crisis.
The king’s trip to Botswana, which was widely criticized, emerged after he was flown home for treatment for a fractured hip.
“I’m very sorry, I made a mistake. It won’t happen again,” King Juan Carlos said, as he left San Jose hospital in Madrid.
It was widely reported that the king had been hunting elephants, which the royal house has neither confirmed nor denied.
King Juan Carlos, 74, broke his hip falling on a step and was flown home by private jet. He underwent hip replacement surgery on Saturday.
After news of his visit to Botswana was revealed, many Spanish newspapers published an earlier photo of the king on safari, in which he is seen standing with a gun beside a dead elephant.
King Juan Carlos is honorary president of the Spanish branch of conservation group WWF and an online petition calling for his resignation had accumulated almost 85,000 signatures by the time he made his public apology.
Spain is the fourth biggest economy in the eurozone but has seen its debt crisis worsen and its borrowing costs increase. It currently has a 23% unemployment rate and there are fears it could return to recession.
The king had faced a public outcry for going to Africa and quite probably hunting elephants when a lot of people were facing the harsh reality of an economic crisis.
Although the leaders of the ruling Popular Party and Socialists had declined to comment on the controversy, the Socialists’ leader in Madrid Tomas Gomez suggested the king should choose between his “public responsibilities, or an abdication”.
El Pais newspaper reported that the royal house had considered its response carefully and that the king had decided to speak publicly before the television cameras rather than leave the matter to a palace statement.
King Juan Carlos is generally popular in Spain but the royal family has recently been beset by a series of embarrassing news stories.
His son-in-law, Inaki Urdangarin, has been questioned about a corruption scandal that involves claims that he used public funds to organize sports events. He has been suspended from taking part in royal engagements.
Only last week, the king’s grandson, 13-year-old Felipe Juan Froilan, was himself taken to hospital after an incident involving a gun. He shot himself in the foot during target practice outside the family home.
Related search articles:
- selena gomez in play boy
- play boy selena
- selena gomez play boy picture
- stomach virus 2013 Alabama
- heidi klum mouth surgery
- www india xvidio com
- selena gomes play boy
- salena gomez play boy
- 2013 stomach bugs in mobile al
- is there a stomach virus going around in d c in 2013
- stomach bug 2013 alabama
- tom cruise hip replacement
- tomas napoleon and grace audrey mcdonnell
- selena gomez new playboy deal
- selena gomez play boy magazine
- toman magik
- viruses going around right now in alabama
- what illnesses are going around west midlands
- selena gomez playboy 2013 fake
- stomach virus 3/07/2013 birmingham alabama
- sport announcer scandel
- videos women wearing pantyhose in mall
- upskirt at public roland garros
- selena gomez bathroom
- 2013 stomach virus alabama
- alabamavirus going around 2013
- caught on tape she did that in public! she was right to
- chest cold virus 2013
- cold going round may 2013
- Current Viruses Going around 2013 in alabama
- dan marinos hip replacement
- free unknowing upskirt pics
- illinesses going around in dallas county
- is selena gomez in the next month of playboy
- is selena gomez on play boy
- is there going to be a buckwild 2?
- made to wear tights
- Saxxy grail mobail no Chandigrah
- scandal between cocoa ad ice t
- 2013 british royal family predictions
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=17771