Why today’s women are marrying down
According to researchers, it appears the days of women setting their sights on marrying “above themselves” are over, as they become better educated and better paid.
Indeed modern women could hardly be further from the likes of Pride and Prejudice’s Elizabeth Bennet and her scheming to net Mr. Darcy – not just the man she loved but, crucially, a wealthy aristocrat.
Analyzing how female aspirations have changed over the past 50 years the researchers found women in their late twenties and early thirties are increasingly marrying “beneath themselves” by opting for men of lower social classes.
The think-tank says the proportion of those “marrying down” – such as the Queen Elizabeth’s granddaughter Zara Phillips who is now wed to former England rugby player Mike Tindall – has exceeded those “marrying up” for the first time.
The study found 28% of women born between 1976 and 1981 married men who were less educated and worse paid than them. In 1958, the figure was 23%.
Of the women born between 1976 and 1981, only 16% married up and more than half (56%) married someone of the same class, defined by the IPPR as someone in a similar occupation.
In 1958, 39% married someone of the same class and 38% married up.
The research also showed that while attitudes towards marrying across social class have changed, those towards age have become more entrenched.
Most women marry men who are older than them and are more likely to do so than those of previous generations.
Richard Darlington of the IPPR said: “In the 60s, women working in highly segregated offices in junior clerical roles fell in love with men in senior positions and <<married the boss>>.
“By the 70s and 80s, women had moved into more senior positions themselves and were marrying men in similar professional categories. By the 90s, the toy boy phenomenon was at its height and by the noughties age was no longer a social taboo.
“Women are still marrying older men from the same social class as themselves, but for the first time, the proportion marrying down is higher than the proportion marrying up, and one in five women are now marrying men who are seven or more years older than them.”
Official figures last week showed 52% of women aged 17-30 went into higher education compared with 42% of men.
Related search articles:
- king zwelithini marrying a 14 yr old
- xvideo old 65 com
- xnxx women older then 60 com
- Powered by Article Dashboard online bachelor of science degree in medical technology
- theresa caputo breast size
- mexican women wearing panties
- old women in tight shorts
- women miniskirt public
- receding hairline in black women
- Odessa tx girls tumblr
- african woman pissing
- young wife strips with two guys
- africans in bikinis
- pics of mexican women 50 and older lookin for a man
- Pictures of Crack Smokers
- pictures of Older women tied and gagged
- pictures taken of co workers crotch
- pinterest elderly
- pinterest fahsion for mature women
- older thai pic
- photo of a real mexican lady in heels
- older women who smoke
- older thai woman pic
- older women from usa with her son
- older women in pantyhose tumblr
- zulu king goodwill a mason
- older women in underwear
- older women on Pinterest
- older women tied com
- older women wearing mini skirts
- older women flashing pics
- older women bikini photos
- OLDER WOMEN WEARING PANTYHOSE TUMBLR
- older women from russia
- regulation regarding retired brit marrying filipina in cyprus
- women modeling bras pics
- women modeling panties and bras
- women modeling undergarments
- women modeling underwear
- women putting on hose
- women red carpet skimpy clothes
- women wearing micro mini skirts in public
- women wearing strappy heels
- women women panty flashing
- young girls breastfeeding from older woman
- women in public showing
- women in panties modeling
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=17167