Japanese tsunami ghost ship has been blown up by the US Coast Guard
The crewless Japanese ship that drifted to Alaska after the 2011 tsunami has been sunk by the US Coast Guard.
The coast guard earlier said they would hold off scuttling the Ryou-Un Maru after a Canadian fishing boat claimed salvage rights.
But a Canadian official later said that the Bernice C had been unable to tow the 200 ft (61 m) Japanese “ghost ship”.
The US Coast Guard has used cannon to sink the boat, which had no lights or power and was viewed as a danger to other ships.
It was thought to be at the vanguard of a stream of tsunami debris that has been drifting east since last year’s disaster hit Japan.
The Ryou-Un Maru was first spotted off the coast of Canadian British Columbia on 23 March.
The vessel was moving at about 1 km/h in a maritime transport corridor that separates US and Canadian waters.
It was adrift about 195 miles from Sitka, Alaska, when it was sunk, officials said.
Chief Petty Officer Kip Wadlow told AP news agency that a cutter was used to fire cannon at the abandoned ship, which burst into flames and took on water.
After a few hours, larger ammunition was used to complete the job, he said.
A Hercules C-130 air crew was ready to participate in the operation, broadcasting to mariners and air traffic to alert them and help clear the surrounding area before the demolition of the ship began.
CPO Wadlow said it would be too expensive to try to salvage the ship, and too dangerous to put anyone on board.
The ship may have carried more than 7,500 litres of diesel fuel, officials said.
The Ryou-Un Maru, a shrimping boat, has been traced to the Japanese island of Hokkaido.
Alaskan Senator Mark Begich suggested that the boat’s owner had been identified, but the owner did not want the vessel back.
On 11 March 2011, a 9.0-magnitude earthquake hit Japan, triggering a tsunami that swamped a power station, prompting the worst nuclear crisis since the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.
Related search articles:
- japanese mom son trip
- 2003 uk coastgaurd footage of mermaid
- japanese TV presenters being stripped
- Japanese YouTube Video train grop
- JFK blown away 1960s
- mermaid video coast guard
- northern lights in pennsylvania 2013
- Sairah chaudhry vancouver
- stephanie rotundo bathing suits in miami
- trampoline crash videos of children
- tsunami in japan ghost boat in b c
- uk coast guard leaked footage from 2003
- uk coastguard mermaid video
- Uniform blown up by wind
- vudeosoffgirlstop blown open by car
- Wind Blown Upskirt
- Wind Skirts Streets of Japanese
- wing blown upskirts
- honda emaje
- halifax ship eats mermaids
- belinda tolbert mother
- blown upskirt
- bosnian tv presenter france skirt wind blow
- braless japanese park
- british coaat guard video of mermaid
- british coast guard and mermaid
- coast guard leaked tape
- coast guard mermaid
- coast guard rescue mermaid
- coast guard spots mermaid
- costguard video of mermaid
- craig october 28 2012 earthquake alaska
- cressida bonas ethnicity
- dvds/videos of skirts being blown up in the wind japan
- fairbanks girl masturbates
- free wind blown skirts
- fun house blown up skirts
- youtube japan mom
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=16986