Penny Marshall: “Whitney Houston was a great girl”
Penny Marshall, the director of the 1996 musical drama The Preacher’s Wife, deemed the recent death of Whitney Houston a “very sad” loss.
“She was a great girl, and we got along fine,” the television star turned movie director said about guiding Whitney Houston through the 1996 musical drama The Preacher’s Wife opposite Denzel Washington.
“She sang beautifully, but like a baseball player doesn’t pitch every day, you had to schedule certain things at certain times. You have to take the actors into consideration.”
Penny Marshall also took the use of Whitney Houston’s vocal talents seriously: “I went to her mom’s church in Newark [N.J.] and I went to Denzel’s church out here [in Los Angeles], and we auditioned choirs. I had never done anything with music of the current time, because most of the movies I did were period pictures. Awakenings was, certainly A League of Their Own was, and so was Riding in Cars With Boys.”
With Big and Jumpin’ Jack Flash also on her resume, Penny Marshall cut her directing teeth on several episodes of the classic ABC sitcom Laverne & Shirley, now seen on The Hub. Along with Cindy Williams and their co-stars, she’ll be honored for the show with the Fan Favorite Award as the 10th-anniversary TV Land Awards are televised by that network Sunday, April 29.
Laverne & Shirley was run by Penny Marshall’s brother Garry, who would become a noted movie director himself (Pretty Woman, Beaches), and she says pretty much anyone who worked on the show had the opportunity to direct. “It’s hard to do a series,” she reflects.
“You do a show a week, and sometimes, we didn’t love the dialogue so much … so we found physical ways around it. It became about behavior.”
Lately, Penny Marshall has been directing television again, with Showtime’s United States of Tara and ABC’s According to Jim among those credits.
“All they do is watch monitors now,” Penny Marshall says.
“They don’t know everything that’s in front of an audience. We didn’t have video feeds back then. It was, <<A camera, you got it? B camera, you got it? C camera, you got it? Fine.>> And they’d tell you the truth.”
Calling the shots on more TV shows isn’t out of the question for Penny Marshall.
“I don’t do vampires, I don’t do car crashes, and I don’t do people in big metal outfits,” she reasons.
“That’s what they spend the money on now in features, and with any movie you want to do, you have to shoot them fast and they don’t pay enough. I’d rather direct television.”
Related search articles:
- atk mademoiselle louise
- penny marshall topless
- 13 yo feet
- xnxx baybe greal and techer at park
- Sparkle Williams 1960
- Powered by Article Dashboard jr cigar coupon code
- Siobhan Marshall Topless
- penny marshall wig
- song on direct tv commercial 2013
- luke bryan first child health issues
- girl shoeplay pennyloafers
- shirley ponce upskirt videos
- uniform black penny lofers kids girls
- pennie lee former weather lady
- where did Nancy odell get her start
- puyallup wa whitney wednsday
- 2013 Direct TV commercials
- Commercials On TV 2013
- penny marshall catholic
- car accident whiney marshall puyallup washington
- pregnant images whitney houston
- penny loafers wet
- penny marshall bikini
- penny marshall cancer 2012
- penny toyota ads
- penny marshall gagged
- penny marshall news
- penny marshall on whitney houston
- penny marshall swimsuit
- saxi pouts
- why do snookies teeth look odd?
- who is the blond in the 2013 directv commercial
- who is the babe in the direct tv commercial
- whne did the top ten lsist begin
- whitney sitcom necklace
- Whitney Houston pictures of her modeling
- Whitney Houston Job Earnings
- shirley maclaine up skirt
- the mule sharon stone
- temptation movie discusses HIV
- srirley ponce upskirt
- tgp amanda reg
- shirley ponce bio
- xtube video crushing loafers
- penny lee feet pics
- fullfrontalpics of korean men
- free screening of temptation cofessions of a marriage counselorin chicago
- ester macvey knicker disaster video
- eritrean movie 2013 new
- eritrea flight tickets where to buy them in gen eva swiss
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=16888