Apple has won patent dispute against Motorola Mobility over “slide-to-unlock” feature
Giant technology company Apple has won a patent dispute against Motorola Mobility regarding a “slide-to-unlock” feature on smartphones.
The judgement marks Apple’s first patent victory over Motorola in any part of the world.
Patent consultant Florian Mueller said the ruling could affect patent disputes involving Android device makers worldwide.
Motorola said it planned to appeal and the judgement would have “no impact” on supply or future sales.
A spokeswoman for the Motorola said: “Today’s ruling in the patent litigation brought by Apple in Munich, Germany, concerns a software feature related to phone unlocking in select Motorola devices sold in Germany.
“Motorola has implemented a new design for the feature. Therefore, we expect no impact on current supply or future sales.”
Apple said it would not be commenting on the decision.
Motorola Mobility is in the process of being acquired by Google, and most of its handsets run on the search firm’s mobile operating system, Android.
The Android system is Apple’s closest rival in the mobile market.
Florian Mueller, a patent expert who has in the past consulted for Microsoft, described the ruling as a “very significant win for Apple against Android”.
“After Google closes the acquisition of Motorola Mobility, the Apple-Motorola Mobility dispute will soon gain importance transcending that of the global battle with Samsung,” Florian Mueller said.
While this decision relates solely to activity in the German market, the decision could potentially help Apple with other patent disputes in other parts of the world, Florian Mueller added.
“Apple is already asserting the slide-to-unlock patent in different jurisdictions against all three leading Android device makers and might use it against even more of them going forward.”
The patent in question – EP1964022 – relates to the process of unlocking a smartphone by simply swiping a finger from one area of the screen to another.
A second patent ruling, which covers a method of scrolling through pictures in a photo gallery on mobile device, was also due on Thursday but was postponed by the court.
Related search articles:
- apple/nokia lotto
- Apple Nokia lotto
- fifa 13 skin tight shirts which players
- fifa 13 xbox 360 unlock tight jersey
- Jaquline fernandez armpitts
- future google phone 2013-2014
- jacqueline siegel a gold digger
- undershirt fifa 13
- unlock jerseys in fifa 13
- 2013 mobility layoffs
- search foto pissing
- Samsung market share2013
- Powered by Article Dashboard free software windows mobile 6
- sumsung gallasy s gt i9000 defall langoas
- fall 2013 smartphones
- fifa 13 skin tight shirt players
- tgp: girls in leather boots
- skin tight shirt blonde pics
- Susu Morsi NH
- unlock fifa 13 jerseys
- susu morsi
- unlock jersey in fifa 13
- xvideo por mobili
- xnxx china translation khmer
- www unblock youteb xnxx com
- www snxx of asian
- WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE COMPANY THAT HOLDS A PATENT RIGHT TO THE LATEST THIN GRAPHENE DISCOVERY
- violentnewest smartphone 2013
- unlock xbideos
- unlock undershirt fifa 13
- unlock jersies on fifa 13
- si impact factor plos one
- how to unclock tight short on FIFA 13
- graphene roadmap in ARMY
- flip phone 2014
- fifa kits bayern munchen 12/13
- fifa 2013 how to unlock kit
- fifa 13 skin tight shirts list
- eftforme whatsap co za
- Droid 2013-2014
- Courtney Kennedy Hill Photos
- hot balkan girls tgp
- how do a uncarcom
- nexus7 xvidocom ダウンロード
- next motorola phone 2014
- Motorola smartphones rumour
- motorola mobility rumors
- motorola conference 2014
- is the product Bufferin stil made
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=13820