Brain is responsible for weight gain and obesity, say scientists
Scientists from Finland have located a certain area of the brain that could be responsible for weight gain and obesity.
The central nervous system helps to control food intake and it has long been known that the brain influences how and what we eat.
However, the latest finding suggest overweight individuals’ brains could be wired in such a way that they “constantly generate signals that promote eating” even when they don’t require food.
Participants to the study were exposed to images of food while their brain activity was monitored using functional MRI scans.
The results showed that morbidly obese subjects had a significantly higher glucose metabolism in the striatal region of the brain than lean participants.
This region is responsible for rewarding emotions and desires.
These findings are yet another step towards understanding how brain responses vary in people with weight problems.
Lead researcher Professor Lauri Nummenmaa from the University of Turku said: “The results suggest that obese individuals’ brains might constantly generate signals that promote eating even when the body would not require additional energy uptake.”
It is now hoped that the discovery will help develop more effective obesity intervention strategies.
Prof. Lauri Nummenmaa, who worked with a team from Aalto University, added: “The results have major implications on the current models of obesity, but also on development of pharmacological and psychological treatments of obesity.”
A previous study from Cambridge University found leptin, one of the key hormones responsible for reducing hunger and increasing the feeling of fullness, also controls fondness for food.
Patients with a rare genetic disorder resulting in a complete lack of leptin receptors in the brain were found to eat excessively and develop severe obesity.
When they were treated with the hormone, scientists found their hunger was reduced, and they gradually lost weight.
Although obesity typically results simply from excessive calorie intake, it is still unclear why some people are prone to overeating and gaining weight.
The results of the recent study appeared in the journal PLoS ONE.
Obesity is when a person is carrying too much body fat for their height and gender and a person is considered obese if they have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more.
Related search articles:
- how much does yolanda foster weigh
- weight watchers commercials 2013
- how tall is yolanda foster height
- christina aguilera height and weight
- bbw weight gain
- honey boo boo s mom loses weight
- what does yolanda foster eat
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups fast weight loss tip
- How Tall Is Valeria Lukyanova
- yolanda h foster height and weight
- honey boo boos mom weight lose
- playboytvchat com kim kardashian
- is june shannons weight loss fake?
- remi belle shower
- what part of the brain is responsible for weight gain
- new weight watchers program 2013
- what is yolanda foster weight
- yolanda foster height and weigth
- yolanda foster clothes size
- ww points plus mcdonads fish bites
- normal brain scan compared to M S brain scan
- momma june wieght lose
- see thru pants pics tumblr
- nancy grace on the kira murder
- new scientific treatments for weight gain
- noel fielding food
- ow tall is Yolanda foster
- ssbbw nadia weight gain full
- the rapper game loses weight
- What year did Willie Robertson from Duck Dynasty graduate high school
- what parts of the brain deal with obesity
- themes galaxy note II
- belle Obesity Photos
- What is the height and weight of Yolanda Foster
- weight watchers lost in 4 months
- weight loss abbie lee miller
- video of scientists discovery of mermaids 2013
- why doesnt kay robertson from duck dynasty lose weight
- two scientists discover mermaid
- what does yoland foster eat
- yolanda foster n jeans
- million dollar baby quotes muchga
- googlegmailgoogoogle searchgoogle mapsgamesgas pricesgroupongwyneth paltrowgap
- girls eating cum on food videos
- dolec preteen panties
- Clenbuterol average lbs lost
- cara develigne bulimic
- brain regions responsible for weight gain
- belle obesity pictures
- bbw gaining photos
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=13465