Sundance Film Festival 2012: “Beasts of the Southern Wild” won Grand jury prize
Sundance Film Festival 2012 took place from Thursday, January 19 to Sunday, January 29 in Park City, Utah.
The 28th edition of the festival presented about 118 independent films from 30 countries, including 45 first-timers (24 in competition) and 91 world premieres. Featured in four different competition categories were 58 individual films.
Parker Posey was the host of the closing awards ceremony.
“Every year the Sundance Film Festival brings to light exciting new direction and fresh voices in independent film, and this year is no different. While these awards further distinguish those that have had the most impact on audiences and our jury, the level of talent showcased across the board at the Festival was really impressive, and all are to be congratulated and thanked for sharing their work with us,” said John Cooper, Sundance Film Festival director.
“Beasts of the Southern Wild” won Grand jury prize for drama at the Sundance Film Festival 2012.
The film also received a prize for excellence in cinematography, US dramatic.
“Beasts of the Southern Wild” tells the story of two persons (a father and his daughter) who are trying to deal with the effects of global warming. Hushpuppy is 6 years old and lives in the vicinity of the Mississippi delta with her father. The film is directed Benh Zeitlin, 29, first-time filmmaker and features a cast of non-actors. Quvenzhane Wallis (Hushpuppy), 8, who was 6 when she started to shot the movie, is for Zeitlin “the biggest person” he knows.
“Beasts of the Southern Wild” is described by Damon Wise (The Guardian) as “the first significant eco-threat movie to be seen through the eyes of the generation that has inherited global warming.”
“I hope with this movie there is a flag that goes up to allow directors to explore the world,” said Benh Zeitlin.
“The Surrogate” won drama audience award and best ensemble at Sundance Film Festival 2012.
The film is based on the autobiographical writings of Mark O’Brien, journalist and poet and presents a man, 38, half paralyzed from poliomyelitis (John Hawkes) who wishes to lose his virginity with a sex therapist, or “sex surrogate” (Oscar-winning Helen Hunt). Jeremy Kay called it “an unexpected crowd-pleaser“.
“Mark’s spine was horribly curved. When you read the script, it says, ‘I haven’t seen my penis since I was six years old.’ I invented, along with the lovely props people, something called the torture ball, which was a soccer-sized piece of foam that I would lay onto the left side of my back in order to curve my spine,” John Hawkes told New York Magazine. Hawkes has health problems because his spine’s curvature was affected. He said he needed a help of a chiropractor to diminish the damages he caused to his back.
“I’ve been doing yoga for like 25 years, but my spine doesn’t have enough movement in one direction and the opposite direction has way too much movement. (My chiropractor) doesn’t know how to fix it other than I might wear a brace for a while,” he said.
Fox Searchlight bought “Beasts of the Southern Wild” and “The Surrogate” and the films are expected to be launched in the U.S. theaters this year.
“The House I Live In” documentary won Grand jury prize at Sundance Film Festival 2012.
The documentary exposes the failure of United States’ war against drugs. Film director, Eugene Jarecki, said the authorities’ effort to stop the drug trade was “tragically immoral and so heartbreakingly wrong and misguided“. That war was “a terrible scar on America,” said Jarecki, because of unfair drug penalties affecting minorities.
“The Invisible War” by Kirby Dick won documentary audience award. The film presents numerous cases of rape and sexual assault in the US military.
Both documentaries are the mirrors of the “dark and grim” times, as characterized by Robert Redford, the founder of the Sundance Film Festival.
Full list of Sundance Film Festival 2012 winners
Grand jury prize, documentary: The House I Live In
Grand jury prize, drama: Beasts of the Southern Wild
US directing award: The Queen of Versailles, Lauren Greenfield
US directing award: Middle of Nowhere, Ava Duvernay
Waldo Salt screenwriting award: Safety Not Guaranteed, Colin Trevorrow
Audience award, US documentary: The Invisible War
Audience award, US dramatic: The Surrogate
Special jury prizes, US documentary: Love Free or Die and Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry
US dramatic special jury prize for producing: Jonathan Schwartz and Andrea Sperling, Smashed and Nobody Walks
US dramatic special jury prize for Ensemble Acting: The Surrogate
Shorts audience award: The Debutante Hunters
Excellence in cinematography, US documentary: Chasing Ice
Excellence in cinematography, US dramatic: Beasts of the Southern Wild
US documentary editing award: Detropia
Best of next award: Sleepwalk With Me
Alfred P Sloan feature film prize: Robot and Frank and Valley of Saints
World cinema jury special prize, Documentary: Searching for Sugar Man
World cinema documentary editing: Indie Game: The Movie, Lisanne Pajot and James Swirsky
World cinema jury prize,documentary: The Law in These Parts, Ra’anan Alexandrowicz, director
World cinema dramatic special jury prize: Can, Rasit Celikezer, director
World cinema cinematography award, drama: David Raedeker, My Brother the Devil
World cinema cinematography award, documentary: Lars Skree, Putin’s Kiss
World cinema directing award, documentary: Emad Burnat and Guy Davidi, 5 Broken Cameras
Shorts audience award: The Debutante Hunters, Maria White, director
World cinema audience award: Searching for Sugar Man
Sundance Film Festival has begun in Salt Lake City in 1978 as an effort to attract independent film-makers.
Related search articles:
- Powered by Article Dashboard list of film festivals
- Powered by Article Dashboard california independent film festivals
- Powered by Article Dashboard independent film festivals theaters
- Powered by Article Dashboard world track records mens womens
- Powered by Article Dashboard u s film festivals
- Powered by Article Dashboard independent film festivals
- teenboysworld- andy pics
- xnxl اشورا راي
- skimpy shorts galleries
- sock puppet says you dont know who i am
- sandra bullock new movie june 2013
- les miserables movie playing in south jersey
- christina aguilera tight white panties in concert
- rob and kristen new baby news today
- Where is les miserables movie playing in NJ
- movie with 2 mexican guys in LA fighting against the cartel
- AVOID THE MOVIE THE BUTLER NOW BEING SHOT IN NEW ORLEANS
- new zealand skinny dipping world record attempt uncensored
- www khost gril photos com
- xnxx برلمان
- who is the tallest person in the world
- naturiste documentary
- prison documentary bbc
- real life incest documentary film
- real life incest news
- National Geogrphic documentary Ryan Rogers documentary
- public peeing at v festival
- pbs atlanta shootings torrent
- noaa mermaid
- norma jeans reality show baltimore md
- old xnxxpage
- Powered by Article Dashboard film festivals documen
- xhamster un seen kkk
- one direction preferences/imagines youre up for the same grammy award
- peru drug news on13th
- one direction preference he is mad at your teenager
- sarah jessica parker met 2013 panty pics
- where is les miserables movie showing in South Jerseyg
- who is the tallest man alive in 2013
- Who is the tallest man in the world
- wifes firat celik
- will kkk beneath the hood air again
- www sis and bro new movie xnxx com
- xvideo s com miss worlol pc
- XXNX FAREHA
- youtube Leon love ideal world
- where in NJ is les miserable playing
- whats wrong with Jase and Missy daughter
- watch aylesbury prison documentary
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=12868