Emmett Rauch, a 2-year-old toddler had 18 surgeries after he swallowed a lithium battery
Emmett Rauch, a 2-year-old toddler from Arizona who swallowed a tiny battery, has undergone multiple surgeries as doctors struggle to save his life.
Emmett Rauch swallowed a lithium battery from a remote control and has since had 18 surgeries in the past year at Phoenix Children’s Hospital in Arizona.
Toddler’s mother, Karla Rauch, said no one saw he swallow the battery and the first symptoms he had were similar to a cold.
The mother said: “Batteries start burning in the oesophagus within two hours and it was in him we think about three days.”
Emmett Rauch has had four inches of his oesophagus removed after the acid from the battery burned two holes through it.
The toddler has also suffered multiple cases of collapsed lung and had close to 200 X-rays. He has spent more than 19 weeks of his young life in the pediatric ICU.
The batteries are so dangerous because they don’t have as much casing as an AA battery.
A nurse who cares for Emmett Rauch, Michelle Chacon, said she has seen several cases of children swallowing batteries and that more should be done to make families aware of the household danger.
Michelle Chacon has helped the Rauch family set up a charity to raise awareness about the tiny batteries which are used in everyday objects like clocks, cameras and calculators.
She said: “You talk about childproofing your home and covering your outlets, and this needs to be a part of that.”
According to the National Capital Poison Center, each year in the U.S. more than 3,500 people swallow miniature disc or button batteries.
The charity called Emmett’s Fight aims to inform about the dangers of button battery ingestion.
The symptoms are similar to the common cold or the flu – fever, lack of appetite, coughing and increase of mucus production.
Related search articles:
- 1 yr old swollows battery
- michelle harris alive and well breast size
- what if a one year old accidently swollows a flexeral
- hannah storm g-string photos
- hotmovie karlacuti
- melissa rauch bra size
- melissa rauch ARRESTED
- melisa rauch oops
- is it possable for a one year old baby swallow a aa battery
- if a toddler eats a swallows a battery
- how can you tell if a baby has swallowed a aa battery
- go emmit battery ingestion
- four year old swallowed button battery how long can it remain in stpmach
- emmitt rouch
- missing aa battery child swallowed symptons
- monster inside me emmett
- monsters inside me child swallowed button battery
- what symptoms will my toddler have if they ingest a battery
- true crime kingman az
- swallowing batteries in suicide attempt
- swallowing batteries adult
- swallowed the pill battery? on monsters inside me
- rip production sofi augustea
- pictures of people after swolling battries xrays
- one year swallowed a battery
- nikkki higgins and her son tyler who swallowed a button battery
- new guinea witch burning update
- my toddler could have swallowed an LR41 battery
- my 2 year old swollowed a aa battery
- emmitt rauch
- emmet raush
- Emmet Rauch
- can a 12 month old swallow a AA battery
- can a 10 month old baby swallow a aa battery
- can a 1 year old swallow an aa battery
- button battery emmett monsters inside me
- biggest object a baby has swallowed
- battery acid on childs skin
- baby who swallowed battery on monsters inside me
- baby swallowing a car remote battery
- are pythons in danger
- aa battery infant
- AA battery eating toddler
- 2 year old sowlled a muscle relaxer
- can a 2 year old eat a aa battery
- can a baby swallow a AA battery
- can a one year old swallow a aa battery
- emment swallowed a battery
- dominican poison 2013 foto
- could a toddler eat a aa battery
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=9256