2005 YU55 asteroid whistled past Earth at 202,000 miles away
2005 YU55, an asteroid the size of an aircraft carrier whistled past Earth at a distance of 202,000 miles away, slightly nearer than the moon, on November 8.
The asteroid is the largest such object to come so close in 35 years but NASA said ther is no chance of impact with the space rock known as 2005 YU55.
NASA has been monitoring the quarter-mile-wide asteroid as it approached Earth.
The researchers will now analyze radar images to uncover further details about the rock, which was first spotted in 2005 by the University of Arizona.
YU55 asteroid’ surface is coal black and it spins slowly through space. It travels at 30,000 mph and was last this close to Earth some 200 years ago.
The last time a large cosmic interloper came that close to Earth was in 1976, and it won’t happen again until 2028.
However, it was bad news for all but the most committed of stargazers. It was not visible to the naked eye – even at its closest point to Earth it was about 100 times dimmer than humans can observe naturally.
If somebody wanted to catch a glimpse of YU55 asteroid as it passed by, the person would have needed a telescope with an aperture of at least six inches and to be out of a city or away from any light pollution.
Sky & Telescope magazine published charts that show YU55′s progress through the constellations.
Scientists at NASA’s Deep Space Network in the California desert have tracked the quarter-mile-wide asteroid since last week as it approached from the direction of the sun at 29,000 mph (46,671 kph).
Yesterday, NASA offered two places to take a closer look at the action – Asteroid And Comet.
Scientists tracked YU55 with antennae of the agency’s Deep Space Network at Goldstone, California, and the Arecibo Planetary Radar Facility in Puerto Rico.
The Clay Center Observatory in Massachusetts planned an all-night viewing party so children and parents could peer through research-grade telescopes and listen to lectures.
The asteroid can’t be detected with the naked eye.
For those without a telescope, the observatory streamed video of the flyby live on Ustream, attracting several thousand viewers.
If an asteroid that size were to hit, the impact would carve a crater four miles (6.4 km) across and 1,700 feet (518 metres) deep. And if it slammed into the ocean, it would trigger 70-foot (21-metre) high tsunami waves.
The space experts recently estimated that more than 90% of the near-Earth asteroids wider than 0.6 miles have been identified, but that thousands of asteroids in YU55’s size range remain undetected.
For a lighthearted look at our close encounter, Facebook features countless event pages, and the asteroid even has its own Twitter account (@AsteroidYU55). Search for YU55 or #YU55 for a plethora of tweets.
Related search articles:
- meteor hit earth 2016
- asteroid 2016
- ele asteroid
- meteor to hit new york
- Asteroid ELE
- 2018 asteroid
- 2016 asteroid
- mars asteroid
- doctor who russia asteroid
- doctor who predicts asteroid
- asteroide 2018
- 2016 asteroid collision
- asteroid to hit mars
- asteroid that WILL HIT NEW YORK
- March 2013 Asteroid
- latest update about asteroid coming to new york
- asteroid hit mars
- asteroid 2018
- meteor hits cuba 2013
- asteroid to hit mars 2013
- asteroide ad142012
- asteroids hit earth in 2016
- ad14 asteroid
- xnxx 2018
- where did jaclynnmarie com videos go
- doctor who predicts 2013 asteroid
- fragments@detaining com
- information about an asteroid that is coming in 2018
- da 14 asteroid 2013 current location
- IS AN asteroid to hit new york city
- Is the asteroid real that is headed to New York?
- jaclynn marie website
- latest news on asteroid to hit mars in 2014
- current positionn of meteor in U S
- current position of asteroids of nasa
- How did asteroid 2012 AD14 set course on Earth
- how close is metores hitting nyc
- did asteroid hit new york?
- ele asteroid 2013
- asteroid strike mars
- doctor who russia asteroid 2005
- giant asteroid hitting mars
- habanero rebuilds stomach lining
- DA14 circumference
- ELE asteroid event March 2013
- doctor who asteroid russia 2005
- how close is a mertor hittting nyc
- distance of 2012 ad14 in the solar system
- March 2013 Asteroid e l e
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=9003